Future of Tally Ho

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Case where I hope to be wrong: the dawn of Tally Ho cruising videos.

Most of the rebuilding work is finished now, and Leo plans to sail and cruise to exotic places. I have an uninvited grandfatherly concern, and that is that the YouTube audience is finicky about content. By which I mean, audience loss occurs when the topical matter shifts, in this case from carpentry and restoration challenges told in rare detail, to cruising saga.

There is already a great deal of that, crews groveling for Patreon money, each determined to transform routine experience into reality drama, all with exclamation-point headlines, drone shots and absurd enthusiasm and beaming optimism which seems to have supplanted even the bikinis.

Into this boiling pot Tally Ho is now dropped, like a green lobster. Leo must please the crowd or lose his funding. I suppose that's fair, or at least the real reality of any reality show. Personally, I find my interest drifting away.

YouTube I consider an underappreciated revolution, equal perhaps to generative AI. It is now the encyclopedia of the world, with real-time coverage of drone warfare, lectures on Aristotle, and how to fix a dripping refrigerator (today's project in my house). Having spent a lifetime trying to answer my own questions, YouTube is the Faustian shortcut to all knowledge, and the price you pay to the devil is zero (unless you pay $15 a month, as I do now, for no advertisements).

Can Tally Ho transition from the ancient arts of boatbuilding to which its 500 thousand subscribers were eager apprentices, to the lifestyle revelations of crossing seas and then cooking dinner at anchorage?

Well, my taste is dated and my departure will not be missed. But what marvelous years they were, rebuilding the old girl!

jtsai

Member III
Our own Ericsonyachts.org posting stats reflect the same, that most sailors are gear heads. The Maintenance and Mechanical forum activities surpass all other forums. However this stats is as bias as YouTub analytics. I would like to think our world is bigger, more complex, and far more interesting.

1721820812645.png

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
Case where I hope to be wrong: the dawn of Tally Ho cruising videos.

Most of the rebuilding work is finished now, and Leo plans to sail and cruise to exotic places. I have an uninvited grandfatherly concern, and that is that the YouTube audience is finicky about content. By which I mean, audience loss occurs when the topical matter shifts, in this case from carpentry and restoration challenges told in rare detail, to cruising saga.

There is already a great deal of that, crews groveling for Patreon money, each determined to transform routine experience into reality drama, all with exclamation-point headlines, drone shots and absurd enthusiasm and beaming optimism which seems to have supplanted even the bikinis.

Into this boiling pot Tally Ho is now dropped, like a green lobster. Leo must please the crowd or lose his funding. I suppose that's fair, or at least the real reality of any reality show. Personally, I find my interest drifting away.

YouTube I consider an underappreciated revolution, equal perhaps to generative AI. It is now the encyclopedia of the world, with real-time coverage of drone warfare, lectures on Aristotle, and how to fix a dripping refrigerator (today's project in my house). Having spent a lifetime trying to answer my own questions, YouTube is the Faustian shortcut to all knowledge, and the price you pay to the devil is zero (unless you pay $15 a month, as I do now, for no advertisements).

Can Tally Ho transition from the ancient arts of boatbuilding to which its 500 thousand subscribers were eager apprentices, to the lifestyle revelations of crossing seas and then cooking dinner at anchorage?

Well, my taste is dated and my departure will not be missed. But what marvelous years they were, rebuilding the old girl!
What was Slocum asked when restoring the Spray? Will it pay? I get the feeling that Captain has passed the duties of videography and production to the crew and they are chock full of ideas and aspirations like any newly formed committee. Hopefully it organically evolves and they don't force some sort of sea going soap opera. Their pay will depend on the success of their labors.

Vtonian

E38 - Vashon
The one difference for Tally Ho might be, it's Tally Ho. I don't know how many times I'll be enthralled to watch them hoist and trim that cloud of sail but I suspect if they focus on that unique selling proposition, along with the seamanship and active maintenance of voyaging in a traditional wooden boat, they might do better than most.

But I agree, another travel log is not needed. They were boring in the '60s and still are. Hopefully Leo and team can do better.

They're going to need a lot of cameras and film crew though. Shop projects hold still for staging, live action does not.

BTW, ahem, kudos to you.