Gunk In Carburator

Jack W. Colbert

Have original equipment Atomic 4 in our '73 Ericson 32. In the past couple months have experienced difficulty in keeping engine running -- it'll run for a while then die. Lately the running time is only about 10 minutes or so before it cuts out. Have checked fuel supply from gas tank to carburator and found some white/gray gunk in the carburator. Know how to clean this out. Question is where is it coming from? One of my sailing partners said he heard that MTB or other additives in gasoline may be disolving something in the gas tank. Any information on this will be appreciated, thanks.

Emerald

Sounds like you are suffering from fuel starvation. This could be a variety of things or a combination. Given the sediment you've found, I think I'd put on a new set of fuel filters. Next, make sure your fuel pump is providing enough flow and that you don't have any restrictions in the line. Also, it might be time to check the needle valve in the float bowl.

Regarding the problems with new gasoline mixes, I believe this only applies if you have a fiberglass tank. The issue is the ethanol blend being used eats the fiberglass. I think you have an aluminum tank (didn't all Ericsons?).

Post back with some progress as you work through this, and it should be easy to isolate your problem. These are fine little engines and very easy to work on.

jkm

Member III
Jack

Wanted to pass on a suggestion.

The coil on this engine can become a problem. It'll heat up then cease to work.

For $ 16 buy a new coil. Cheap insurance. I also up graded to a better distributer with pointless ignition. Yet the only real problem I've had with the engine was the coil.

John