• Untitled Document

Join us on September 27th, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the people you've met online!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

September Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How to install Oberdorfer raw water pump

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi,
My last Oberdorfer raw water pump lasted about twelve years before needing new seals. My current pump began leaking through the weep hole after about two years. The mechanic said it may have been due to misalignment on installation, causing the shaft to wobble, wearing out the seals. He said to reinstall my pump with new seals and shaft carefully at a 90 degree angle. Sounds simple...
I installed my repaired pump today, pushing the adapter ( female to male end of shaft) carefully to connect with the engine drive inside. Then I placed the pump directly on the adapter, tightened the two bolts to finger tight, started the engine to allow the shaft and adapter to flexibly align themselves, then tightened the two bolts.
I think I've done everything possible to avoid misalignment , but am still a bit worried that I may not have it right.
Does anyone have any additional information on correct installation procedure?
Also, the mechanic said there was too much grease inside, meaning I was turning the grease cup too often. I never thought one could over lube a turning shaft, but he said I had. How often do you turn your grease cup?
Thanks for any help to allay my concerns.
Frank

JSM

Member III
I rebuilt my pump five years ago and just put everything back together with no problems. Seeing that the two bolts hold the pump firmly in one place and the shaft is supported by the two seals I don't see how alignment is a consideration.