Internal woorwork information

ref_123

Member III
Hi, dear all,

can anybody refer me to a good website or book on internal wood restoration/repair? We have quite a bit of water damage in our new old boat, and although I found a lot of good advice in this site I still need some extra data on tools, chemicals and technics.

Thanks in advance,
Stanly

escapade

Inactive Member
Stan;
The Gougeon Bros., Inc. in Bay City,Mi. (West System) publish several books on how to repair various types of damage as well as having products to use. www.westsystem.com You could also try "This Old Boat" magazine for helpful tips, depending on what you need to fix. Hope this helps & good luck. Bud E34 "Escapade"

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Try Casey...

If you're new to refinishing/restoring woodwork on boats, I would suggest you look at Casey's 'Sailboat Refinishing' as well as his other books also.

He provides a nice overview of the things you need to be aware of - like those things you're asking about - as well as sources to go to learn more. A real value for your $20 - given what you're about to do....

Good Luck!

//sse

jreddington

Member III
Don't have any specific suggestions regarding do-it-yourself work like this.

However, I just had some work done on my boat. I had the veneer along the inside of the cabintop replaced where water had leaked through both the fixed and the opening ports. Had it done at the Yankee Boat Yard in Portland by Scott More of More Wood.

Was pleased with his work. It took much longer than planned because of horendous weather here last winter plus unrelenting rain this spring.

Expensive work but I realize that while I can do a bit of rough carpentry, deail work like this withougt a single straight line is beyond by capability. Was sill a lot cheaper than estimates from Mystic Shipyard who would give only a vauge ballpark number which was thousands higher than Scott.

Doesn't apply to your project out there in California (although you could probably tempt him by including tickets to the West Coast come January:egrin: ), but I thought I'd post for the information of other Connecticut Ericosonites.

ref_123

Member III
Thanks!

Thanks! For a moment I though that Portland you are referring to is Portlan, OR and was thinking about a possible passage there while reading your message - right until the East Coast was mentioned :).

I guess I will try my best with a paint stripper, sander and heat gun before going for new veneer. After all, if the ultimate solution is re-veneering, what do I have to loose except the time (not that I have much of it, but... :))? I used to be kind of handy around the wood finishes. Never tried to work with a really thin veneer though...

Wish me luck.

Stanly

noproblemo2

Member III
We've tried everything while stripping the interior wood of our boat and the best thing we found (by accident) was oven cleaner just spray on let set for ten minutes wipe off with plain water let dry natually or blow dry and varnish or oil the teak comes out a beautiful golden teak color!!:egrin:

ref_123

Member III
Cool idea

Thanks! Sounds like a really cool idea - the stuff must be (at least in theory) less poisonous then the rest of the variants... Any chance you can remember what brand of cleaner was that?

Thanks in advance!