iPad/iPhone and Navigation apps

N.A.

E34 / SF Bay
I use Navionics on my iPhone, mainly because my chartplotter is too old to be reliable and installing a new one is a big step (c.f. my posts elsewhere about being on NMEA 0183 right now.)

This has been generally fine, but my phone locks after a few minutes, which is a hassle at times. So on a long sail out the Gate, when I really wanted constant ability to look at the chart, I set my phone for 'never lock.' And it didn't. But...

--> If the phone/app is always unlocked.open, the battery runs down super fast -- empty in less than 2 hours or so*. What do those of you using an iPad do?

I thought maybe this was the screen on all the time, but Apple does not seem to have an option for having the screen time out without requiring passcode for re-enrty. I was becoming irritated, then realized I can websurf/text for a good while without running down the battery like that... so maybe it's not the screen but the processing required for the Navionics? Or maybe for the GPS received (though I can;t figure out whay that would be so energy-consuming -- old Garmin handhelds worked foerever on a couple of AA;s)

Anyway, I am interested in what those of you using iPads (or iPhones) are doing in this regard -- am I doing something wrong with my settings, or is the only way to make it work to have the device always plugged in? I don't have USB at the helm right now, but could go there. Or wire up one of those Qi-type wireless chargers I guess, if solt water isn;t conductive enough to disable them when wet. But:

--> If there are app settings (I use Navionics) or phone/iPad settings that solve this (or any other advice on the general topic) then I'd love to know.

* PS: Happily I keep some big USB-battery banks* on board which I plugged into the phone and solved the problem -- ran the phone all day, hardly depleting. I highly recommend these battery banks (about the size of a couple of packs of cigarettes, for those of us old enough to remember when people smoked tobacco rather than vape pens) -- SAR services in the national parks apparently say something like 80% of rescues involve someone with a phone with failing battery, and I bet marine rescue are similar. If it's working (reception and... battery), phone is surely better than VHF -- I hear the UCSG regularly asking boats in distress for a phone # to call them back on. Anyway, given how cheap they are on Amazon, I suggest then to any/everyone -- I have two, and had not looked at them in a year or more (oops), and yet when I needed them I found they had stayed fully charged; I love Lithium batteries! Mine have a solar panel on the side, though I expect I would have to be drifting at sea for about a week to charge one up. Not bad to have in case of a West-coast earthquake either, now that I think of it... maybe I'll order a few more for home :)

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
I have two ipads on my boat. One is dedicated to the Furuno wireless radar (nice to have the display portable) and the other is a backup chartplotter that I can carry around to do planning. I have outlets and charging cords to the main batteries. Don't have a problem with it cutting out. I use iNavx on my ipad and have Navionics on the Raymarine chartplotter.

jtsai

Member III
In additional to the auto lock setting which you have already done, the Navionic must be in the "tracking" mode for the screen to stay on.

Mblace

Member II
I use my iphone 13 Pro Max as my nav computer when I'm flying my sailplane (analog to boat nav) and I get maybe 3 hours on a full charge - I had to install a USB plug in the panel to support it and my flight recorder. Ships power is a 20AH LIFEPO4 battery. Also runs radio, vario - I figure 10 hours minimum. The big advantage of Li battery is near constant voltage until it hits 95% discharge, which most electronics prefer. Why not just get a 12ah Li battery and small box (like a trailer e-brake box) and keep it plugged in when using - a Ram mount is a handy way to mount the phone.

bsangs

E35-3 - New Jersey
Like you, I carry several battery banks (Anker) on the boat, and use them if the iPad/iPhone needs a charge while we’re on a long sail. They provide more charging power than running a USB C cable from the cigarette lighter plug adapter on my DC panel. Also, when running Navionics without the iPad/iPhone plugged in, the screen always times out after a few minutes. Stays on when plugged in. One other suggestion, turn off the passcode or FaceID requirement when using as a plotter. Makes it much easier to get the screen back up. Then just turn it back on when finished sailing.