Is polishing thru gelcoat a risk on E boats?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Is annual "cut and polish" a good idea to maintain the gelcoat on Ericsons, or is there a risk that one might "cut" through the gelcoat over a few years? How thick is the gelcoat on 1980s boats? Is there a better alternative to maintain the gelcoat, as I don't want to have to paint the boat in a few years if possible.

My understanding is that polish does have some abrasive material in it to remove chalking, whereas wax does not. Is it good enough to rinse and then wax, perhaps twice a year in northern climates, or is the "cut and polish" required?

Also, the gelcoat on the transom on my boat is a bit pitted all over it (no previous history/cause available). It doesn't look great, and it makes it harder to clean off exhaust stains. I'm thinking to sand it down so it's smooth again, and then paint just the transom with a single part polyurethane paint like Interlux Brightsides. Does that sound reasonable, or does someone have a better idea.

Thanks.
Frank.

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
I wouldn't use a rubbing compound if wax works to bring back the shine. But eventually the surface of the gelcoat becomes too oxidized, and looks dull or even chalky. At that point I use rubbing compound and an electric buffer to cut it back to nice shiney gelcoat again. Eventually you'll wear through the gelcoat, and by then it's time to paint, but I'd think you should get at least a half-dozen complete compound jobs out of it before it's worn through.

As for your transom, I'd try something less drastic first. Before grinding off all the gelcoat, could you try wet-sanding it with 600 grit, and see if that will cut down to a smooth gelcoat? (Then you'd have to progress through finer compounds and polishes until you got to a nice smooth finish.) Are the pits on the surface of the gelcoat, or are they voids behind the gelcoat, that break through like an eggshell? If it's the former, then you may be able to sand it down flat as I described. If it's the latter (voids) then I'd just clean and sand the surface to get rid of oils and waxes, grind out the pits a bit with a dremel, fill them with epoxy, and try to paint the transom to match the boat. This is going to be a very tough match though. Especially if the rest of the topsides have lost their sheen. The polyurethane paints are super glossy. They look great, but the difference between them and old tired gelcoat might be noticeable.