July Daysail

peaman

Sustaining Member
Very nice video, as always.

I used to have problems with jams in my furler. In the Spring, I replaced the line with New England Ropes Regatta Single Braid in 3/8" and have had no issues since. The single braid lays flatter than the double braid it replaced. Once, the line got caught on a bow cleat, so now I always make sure to take the slack out of the furling line after letting the sail out.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Very nice video, as always.

I used to have problems with jams in my furler. In the Spring, I replaced the line with New England Ropes Regatta Single Braid in 3/8" and have had no issues since. The single braid lays flatter than the double braid it replaced. Once, the line got caught on a bow cleat, so now I always make sure to take the slack out of the furling line after letting the sail out.
I think what may have happened is that we started the sail with a partially rolled out jib because high winds which were predicted on the bay but after we got out there the winds were only about 10 knots so we rolled the rest of the jib out. (I also reefed the main at the dock but shook it out later) But while it was partially rolled out the sail was loosing it's wind causing, I think, the furler to rotate and slacken up the furling line causing it to overwrap and then it became worse when I let the jib all the way out. Just a theory of course and I'm not too worried about it since it's only happened to me twice, once on two different boats. Line slackness of any running rigging is "heaven" for lines fouling. I can't recall what line is on the fuller now but I'll check it out and consider your replacement.