Kick-up Rudder for E25?

Jonathan G.

Member I
I have been considering the purchase of a kick-up rudder from Rudder Craft for my 1974 Ericson 25. I keep the boat on a mooring during the summer, and although the stock rudder does slide up, it still bangs the tiller back and forth with quite some force as the boat yaws and rolls. The alternative is to remove it, and wrestle it into the cockpit. It seems like the Rudder Craft design gets the blade completely out of the water when kicked up.

However, a friend purchased one for his S2 7.9, and says that it was perhaps the worst $2,000 he ever spent. The gas cylinder included with the rudder was no match for the weight, which made kicking the rudder up a real struggle. But worse, the foil shape didn't match the boat's stock rudder design, so it caused ferocious weather helm and poor performance.

Different boats are, well, different, so does anybody have experience with this rudder on the E25 to share their experience?

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Many people tie a line from one side of the cockpit around the tiller to the other side. It pretty much locks the tiller. Would that work with your boat?

Jonathan G.

Member I
Many people tie a line from one side of the cockpit around the tiller to the other side. It pretty much locks the tiller. Would that work with your boat?
I do that most of the time, but that really puts a lot of shock loads into the gudgeons, as well as being quite loud when trying to sleep aboard.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
I raise my rudder and lash the tiller to the back stays with bungies. No movement and it’s up and out of the way.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
I do that most of the time, but that really puts a lot of shock loads into the gudgeons, as well as being quite loud when trying to sleep aboard.
I hope I didn't offend you with the suggestion. My frugal nature wants to find an cheaper solution than $2K.

klb67pgh

Member III
On my 78 E25 at my lake, I have a line from a stern cleat, across and around the tiller and then around again aft and then around fore on the tiller and then over to the opposite cleat. That line locks the tiller in the center of the cockpit.

Jonathan G.

Member I
On my 78 E25 at my lake, I have a line from a stern cleat, across and around the tiller and then around again aft and then around fore on the tiller and then over to the opposite cleat. That line locks the tiller in the center of the cockpit.
I do that, too, but I spent the night on the boat last night, and the hinge went ku-clunk-ku-clunk-ku-clunk-ku-clunk-ku-clunk-ku-clunk-ku-clunk-ku-clunk non-stop, all night long.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
I'll give that a try. Does that put the tiller/rudder all the way over to one side

I usually raise the rudder, so the tiller ends up lashed centered to the ring on the backstay tensioner block. This clears the cockpit and, just as important, it doesn’t slap. With rudder down I bring the tiller up and over one of the back stays (usually starboard) and lash it there. But it slaps at anchor or mooring.

Brett DeVries

Good morning fellow sailor. I have a 1973 Ericson 25cb and I have a kick up rudder from Rudder Craft and a centerboard from Rudder Craft. You can call me if you like. 701-340-1103. Happy sailing.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
Good morning fellow sailor. I have a 1973 Ericson 25cb and I have a kick up rudder from Rudder Craft and a centerboard from Rudder Craft. You can call me if you like. 701-340-1103. Happy sailing.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but you’re selling them?

Brett DeVries

The kick up rudder definitely increased the performance of my boat. It is hard to pull up in to the upright position. The problem I have is I ordered mine extra long. Handles great but added extra weight to lift up. The Ericson 25 is 18 degrees offset which doesn't help either.
I still have the original rudder too.