Labor cost for the instrument replacement?

ref_123

Member III
Hi, all,

I am really new in a boat owning business :). Stowe instruments that I have got together with the boat are quite old and seem to be not quite trustworthy... So, I want to replace them with some newer ones. Could the esteemed society be so kind and give me a clue in regards of the labor cost for installation and wiring? Huge thanks in advance!

Stanly

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
It seems you have a 32-3 like me. There are so many variables, it is impossible to say how much the labor would be. In my case, I ran a new depth coax from the V-berth area back to the bulkhead and it took nearly half a day - a real pain. Ericson did install tubes to run the wiring through, and some have had success with a vacuum sucking through string to pull through the wiring. I have since started to run my wires through the bilge which is not great but okay as long as there are no connections to corrode. Then you have the problem of replacement senders and heads requiring a different sized hole, so that would entail fiberglass work.

The only instrument I really care about is the depth sounder. There is a wireless handheld depth meter on the market and it can be mated with Airmar's in-hull 200mhz transducer. So for about $275, you could get away without having to run any wires (other than power to the sending unit) or drilling any holes.

Cary Diehl

Usual rate is around 50-60 an hour by a buisness and you might be lucky enough to find someone who will do it on the side for 20-25 an hour. I know thats something around what we charge. Where they will bite you hard is in the price of the instruments because any company installing them will always overcharge.

If you are interested, I do have a set of brand new standard horizon series 100 instruments (look like the new 150 series) that are last years model just sitting on the shelf. You can e-mail me at home, j24gatorbait@comcast.net if you are interested. I would be willing to guess you could install these yourself with little or no trouble. Infact for that matter, most instruments you buy from anywhere will be fairly easy to install.