Lewmar Table - Volunteers to open while underway

Phr3d

Member II
Good morning,

My wife and I are enjoying our Ericson. A lot. She has invited friends and family to share her dolphin viewing. This has resulted in assorted aborted excursions due to barfing, and other nausea related maladies. She now has a plethora of anti-puke wristbands, stickers, ointments, pills and some other application methods I don't know names for and had no idea existed.

But the point of the post - our table doesn't like being left out and opens at various points of sail. My wife is extravagantly creative when it comes to nibbly-bits, so it could just be wondering what she brought this time. Perhaps we don't feed our guests (or ourselves) enough and it is just reminding us to be good to ourselves.
1724154844626.png

But my take on this is that the table has gotten out of control and is now inappropriately insisting on "time for food" with banging open and shut announcements, and I've started to put on weight. The dogs laying next to it have become annoyed with its poor behavior as well.

1724157922093.png

My brother-in-law mentioned it might be an easy fix to use some sort of clasp. I did some searching for an item and learned about "Steam Punk" and a lot of other styles and materials that don't seem quite right.

On that trip back we had a lovely beam reach with a following sea and put up the gennaker. This resulted in a max speed of 7.8 knots of Ericson surfing.

Uhm, should I try to beat that speed record?

So this "swing clasp" may do the job, but I'm curious about its longevity. Are there any opinions / solutions already put into service?

1724154897504.png

Also, while on the south side of Catalina on a previous trip, in the 30-40 seconds it took to process what we were seeing ahead of us was orca fins, we were in the middle of them. Seeing dozens of big white-and-black splotchy bodies without Sea World's plexiglass wall between us was .... invigorating. I'm assuming there is a standard procedure around that kind of whale?

peaman

Sustaining Member
So this "swing clasp" may do the job, but I'm curious about its longevity. Are there any opinions / solutions already put into service?
If I understand the issue, my first choice would be a shock cord wrapped around the table and helm guard. Not elegant, but easy and effective.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I only set up the cockpit table in harbor or maybe very light sailing. It's in the way and, uh, not gimballed.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Regarding the orca whales, in Canada boaters need to stay clear of them by almost half a nautical mile (400 meters) or more, slow engines to idle speed/neutral or preferably turn them off, turn off depth sounders which impede their communication, and avoid any activity that might bother the whales. If the orcas surface near the boat, maintain calm and avoid anything that could injure them.
I'm assuming the approach in the US would be similar.
Frank

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
. . .

View attachment 50785
. . .
It looks to be die-cast. Typical alloys for this include zinc which would not hold up well in a marine environment. Could also be aluminum, but not likely. That would hold up as well as other aluminum parts you have as long as not fastened to a different kind of metal. More rarely, I've seen brass die-cast parts. Brass has some zinc in it, and an alloy for die-casting may be even more rich in the metal. Personally, I'd stick to stainless hardware, or bronze if you can find it, or standard brass. You'll increase life of the product by using screws of the same or similar material. @peaman 's suggestion of a shock cord is a good 'un.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
If I understand the issue, my first choice would be a shock cord wrapped around the table and helm guard. Not elegant, but easy and effective.
I use a plastic buckle strap and it works great. Simple to use but not a sophisticated as a latch. We use our cockpit table almost every trip to the boat. Who wants to dine in a cabin when it’s beautiful outside?

IMG_1738.jpeg
Like this one here.
IMG_0289.jpeg

Last edited:

Chschaus

"Voila"
I keep mine closed under sail with a strap as Bob suggested above. I also have a leather piece at the end of the table with two snaps, one on each wing. this keeps the wings closed even without a strap or while up under sail. I can post a picture this weekend when I go down to the boat.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On the topic of cockpit tables: