Lightning Strikes!

Sailsteve

Early in August my E36-RH was struck by lightning while moored in Western Long Island Sound. It was during one of those high humidity late afternoon thunderboomers that happen frequently in July and August. I didn't find out about it until the following weekend when I went aboard and discovered some peculiar conditions. My Windex, which was securely bolted to the masthead was no longer there. While the batteries tested full charge with a volt meter, I had no power going to the lights (cabin or running). None of the filaments in the light bulbs were damaged, but of my electronics were, I believe, totally fried. My new Raymarine chart plotter and other Autohelm instruments were all dark. The control panel on my Universal 21 diesel no longer buzzes when I turn on the key to start the engine and I'm not sure about the condition of the alternator. Then there's the autopilot ... oh brother! My bilge pump doesn't work but pressure water and VHF radio do. I guess that the wiring is also fried.

All-in-all, it is very depressing to say the least. I'm going to replace it all, but I wonder if anyone has any good advice about protecting small semiconductors in the face million volt surges? :(

Steve Schwartz
E36-RH
"Glory Days"

Ray Rhode

Member III
Steve,

We have frequent lightning here in the Florida panhandle and I have heard from several people who had been struck and all say that their insurance companies have told them to immediatley have their boats hauled and the thru hulls and shafts inspected. A friend whose boat was struck found out that his depth sounder transducer was literally hanging on by a thread.

Ray Rhode
S/Y Journey
E35-III, #189

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
My boat is down the coast 50nm from Ray Rhode, and I agree with what he just said - the path the strike chooses can be totally random even on a boat with a properly grounded mast, the entry point into the water is the biggest concern.
It is normal for all electronics on board to be fried in a strike, even if they are not connected, by the induced current; the only way to protect them is to put them in a metal shielded box when a storm is looming, such as a biscuit tin or the oven of a metal stove.
If your mast is not grounded, look at this site: www.strikeshield.com.

Sorry to hear about the pain, but at least she is still afloat and the crew OK.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972