liners

NWE29

I am wondering if cutting away parts of the liner in my E29 will have any structural consequences? Thanks for any information anyone might have.

missalot

Member II
My 1970 E29 had real ugly cuts in the liner covered by varnished plywood when I bought it in 1988. The cuts are over an inch wide and run almost the full length of the cabin area. Everything seems to be in place, no problems. If "NWE29" means you are in WA, I am in Anacortes and you are welcome to come see.

Art Mullinax

Member III
Same here

My 71 E29 has mahogany plywood covering what appears to be access areas on each side of the cabin. The cuts are about 8" wide and run the length of the cabin including the stb quarterberth. These cutouts are part of the liner attached to the cabin top. The V-berth has similar cut outs but are trimmed with the same type plywood so we have some storage area between the liner and hull. I've noticed pictures of later model 29's and they have a lot of wood inside. She has the pieces of plywood over the openings and the rest is all liner. No wood on the floors or cabin sides only the bulkheads. Makes it much easier to keep clean, don't have to worry about water stains, or wood associated problems.
Art M,
71 E29, #53