Lost a hatch

Big Kahuna

Aloha!
My 1976 Ericson 27 just got moved from CT to MD. On the drive down, one of the hatches came loose and blew off! My question: Is there anywhere to get one or can I make one? Can I just buy some teak wood and plexyglass, or whaterver that is, and make it?
Thanks for your help
Big K
Ian Bishop

timday5

Member II
I'm planning to rebuild mine using Lexan and the original wood. Boat's in Solomon's, MD right now but I'll be moving her to Quantico, VA this weekend (or at least as far as Dahlgren, VA).

You'll probably get some great advice from others in this forum, but worse case I could send you pics / measurements from my boat next week.

Sounds like you had an interesting trip!

NateHanson

Sustaining Member
The EXACT same thing happened to me last year. You can easily build a new one. They are typically just 4 pieces of teak butted together and screwed with two long screws. Cover the heads with plugs, and glue the joints. You don't need any fancier joinery because the acrylic is really the thing that holds the hatch together.

I got a 36x36" piece of bronze-tinted 1/2" thick acrylic from a local plastics shop (J. Freeman, Dorchester, MA - they also do mail-order), for $90. It's an easy and quick project.

Nate