Main Sail Number

Robid

36 RH #1 Rooster
I am having new sails made. The old number is 3610 and this is 36RH Hull #1. I am wondering what others are flying and can I use 3601 or is that competing with 36C Hull #1. In addition is there a standard color for the Ericson emblem?

I am also looking for pictures of the cockpit seat that bridges the steering...all I have are pieces of teflon.
I am also in want of pictures of hydraulic backstay arrangment, the NAVTEC Vang arrangment.

I really appreciate all the pictures shared on this site.

regards

Slick470

Member III
Sail numbers are sort of depending on what you want to do. If racing, you can get a 4 or 5 digit number assigned by US Sailing that is a sequential number that is unique and can transfer with the boat if it is sold. It is also common to have a sail number that is based off of the hull number. This is pretty common in some one design classes. For someone just cruising their boat, the number can probably be whatever makes you happy, including having no sail number at all.

Our boat is hull 149 and a previous owner decided to have that put on all the sails and several were relatively new. I've kept that number for new sails and have that sail number registered with our local club and PHRF board. However, there is nothing preventing another boat from having 149 out there too. With the US Sailing assigned number, it's very unlikely there is another boat out there with the same sail number.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The sailmaker will have the Ericson logo. As a cruiser I don't need an assigned sail number, so UK Sails here typically puts the boat model under the logo.

third reef crop.JPG

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Many of the Ericson brochures used a cool font that I believe Sean mentioned was Bank Gothic Medium italic (or something close) for the model name. My boat came with “Ericson 30+” decals on the cove stripe in that font. I had Precision Sails use that font for the model number below the logo. Maybe not an exact match, but I like how it came out.

1718405901261.jpeg
IMG_4264.jpeg

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
I am wondering what others are flying and can I use 3601 or is that competing with 36C Hull #1.

Sail numbers are... up to you.

If you're racing, sail numbers are generally assigned by the national authority (US Sailing in the US). Small boats (lasers, solings, etc) typically get a sequential number based on hull number; bigger boats typically get a sail number with an embedded digit that reflects the "area" the boat is registered in (e.g., boats in hawaii - "Area H" - generally have a 9 in the thousands-place: x9xxx; boats in northern california generally get an 8 in the thousands place. etc)

The rest of the picture is ... muddy. plenty of boats that race have some non-standard sail number and as long as they enter it with the race organizer, no one cares. Within just the cohort of Santa Cruz 70s, Pyewacket races as "US-4", Grand Illusion races as "US-87", i think Skylark races as "US-540"... none of which map back to either a hull-number or a racing area. So it goes.

And that's just racing. If you're not racing??? Heck get whatever sail number you want. It's just like naming your boat. Nobody has a copyright on boat-name (or a sail number)... so if 3601 makes you happy, that's all that matters.

$.02
Bruce