• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Maintaining teak in the cabin

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Heck, if varnish is in good shape you can clean it with detergent, use a kitchen abrasive sponge, or even wipe it with acetone. Even satin varnish is tough enough to scrub, at least as much as flat paint. But if it seems porous, or worn to raw wood, recoating is needed.

Pete the Cat

Member III
I have two boats and two experiences. I have a Tartan 37 that the factory started out (1982) with Watco oil on the teak. I continued that and regret it. The problem over the 30 years I have owned the boat is that the oil darkens substantially over time--to very dark brown now. I have been involved in a multi-year effort to remove the old oil and try to restore some of the gold the teak originally had, and it is an unbelievable job I may not live long enough to complete the boat--requires varnish removers and scrapers, 3M pads and lots of patience.. I am following the directions for Captain's Satin varnish and the parts I have redone look very good. On my 32-200 Ericson (which I acquired just a year ago, I was pleased to find that that factory had put a light coat of actual varnish on all the wood and the PO had done nothing to it over the years. Some places where the wood had been discolored by leaks cleaned up nicely with a light sanding and I have done the cabin in a satin and the floor in gloss as Christian has done. It is great looking and it was easier to complete than doing a tiny part of cleaning up the gooey mess the oil made on the Tartan. Perhaps my experience with oiled teak had something to do with the specific products I used (I used lemon oil, teak oils, and Watco at various times) that made some a dark goo that clogs sandpaper and defies chemicals and maybe others will have different experiences. If I had it to do over again, I would never use oil anywhere on wood that is in a marine environment--seems like it traps moisture and maybe mold. Might be easier in the short run than varnish, but certainly not in the long run if you value the brightness of teak.