• Untitled Document

Join us on September 27th, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the people you've met online!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

September Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mast sheaves Ericson 27

JEZ

The jib became difficult to raise and lower. I suspect it is a sheave, which are likely the originals for wire to rope halyard. Questions:
1. Do you know/have sizes and pics of the sheaves?
2. Options for changing to sheaves to accommodate newer line halyards, eliminating wire to rope (width of mast top sheave space)?
3. Pin sizes to replace?
4. Assuming I’d have to lower the mast? Can it be done safely with mast up?
5. Any other considerations?
Thanks!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Search mast sheaves, jib sheaves, Zephyrwerks, and similar. Lots here about the topic.

Here's one: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/mast-head-jib-sheave.13238/#post-126503

There's a thread about trying to change masthead sheaves with the stick up, which turned out to be challenging, I recall.

Most of us agree that the old wire halyard sheaves work fine with modern rope, so that alone probably isn't an issue.

Reactions: JEZ

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
I assume you have a hank-on jib and not a furler? So if it is the sheaves it would be best to drop the mast to replace them. However, I used the original sheaves with an 8mm halyard for years without a problem . I did take the assembly apart and clean and lube it all. There are some fiber plates separating pairs of sheaves (main and jib) Be sure to snap a few pictures showing how your halyards are routed. I messed that up and had to go up the mast to fix them after raising the mast. :mad: No one to blame but myself.