Maximum outboard weight on transom

MIsundog

Good morning all,

I need to replace the outboard motor on my 1985 26-200. Currently, she has a Tohatsu 9.8 weighing approximately 85 pounds. I'm considering purchasing a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust, which is supposed to be an excellent motor for a sailboat, but is substantially heavier than the Tohatsu. Will an additional 25 pounds hanging on the transom pose structural or boat handling issues?

Thanks in advance for all opinions!

Nick J

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I had a high thrust Yamaha T8 on the back of an Ericson 25+. It was perfect for pushing the boat without being overkill. There was a little bit of flex in the transom, but I wasn't concerned with it. Our 25+ was an earlier model before they used the TAFG and renamed it to the 26. Maybe they made some structural improvements in the transom as well.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That heavy? Internet says Yamaha 9.9 high thrust dry weight: 42 kg (93 lbs) Standard propeller: 3-blade aluminum High Thrust (11 3/4" x 7")

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I think I would want all those things and put up with the weight. You probably have a good bracket. I had a lift-up aluminum bracket on my 25-footer, which could not withstand radical side forces, and I went through two of them. And the 10 hp engine was hard to lift manually with very awkward ergonomics. All is compromise, a familiar tattoo here.

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
My transom mounted Tohatsu 9.8 worked great and was reliable for 15-16 years before needing a new carburetor (gasohol victim) . With the long shaft (25") and electric start, it still weighed too much for me but was quiet and ran smooth. I had a small aluminum gas tank made that was mounted below with vent and fill on the transom. Worked really well.

gabriel

Live free or die hard
You should be fine with the weight, but I would encourage to look at tohatsu’s new 8 or 9.8hp fuel injected outboards if you haven already. I believe the basic short shaft version starts at 83 pounds. Very nice.