Moving Laule’a from San Diego

Phr3d

Member II
Went for a sail last night to check everything out, 1 hour on the bay. Super fun.

Then, after docking, the motor wouldn’t start. Not a good nights sleep. After getting a multimeter, eventually got alil the way around to the solenoid. Started leg had fallen off. The screw was laying against the motor mount.

I can’t describe the sense of relief. Only good the make it half way though due to late start.

Phr3d

Member II
Rudder is sloppy GPS track looks like we’re on crack.

HOW DO I ADJUST IT?

6.5+ knots at 3000 rpm

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
If you're referring to steering cables around the quadrant, if I recall correctly, the right deflection is about 3/4" on the cable at the longest point. Tight enough to not come off, but not so tight as to make the steering stiff.
If my memory has failed me, others will correct soon.:)
Frank

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I agree, although my figure is 1". The quick test is lag in turning the wheel. A little lag is OK, and better than bar taut cables that wear the bearings and make the system stiff.

Dunno what type of autopilot is being referenced, but wind vanes actually profit from a little lag, which relieves stiffness in very light air.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
IIRC, you have a wheel pilot, yes? Is the track a regulated zig zag or does it wander randomly? If a regular pattern, it's possible the necessary adjustment is in the autohelm.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If it's a Raymarine wheelpilot, I suggest studying the manual. When confused, I go to Ray wheel pilot support forum and describe the issue to the techs.

The manual will explain the recalibration process, which involves motoring in a few controlled circles to orient the internal compass.

Some wandering is normal, say 2-3 degrees, especially at low speeds.

Wheel pilots seem to get out of whack over time and periodically have to be reset. They also get old and need replacement. Click "Watch on YouTube" for HD.

Last edited:

Phr3d

Member II
IIRC, you have a wheel pilot, yes? Is the track a regulated zig zag or does it wander randomly? If a regular pattern, it's possible the necessary adjustment is in the autohelm.
ST4000 wheel steering - It seems like it corrects to port fine, when a starboard corrections is necessary, it just keeps turning to port.

Phr3d

Member II
It still deflects some, steering not stiff, I can hold the wheel still now and go straight. Will check deflection this afternoon when we get to a port.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
If it's a Raymarine wheelpilot, ...The manual will explain the recalibration process

Yes, and there's also a sensitivity setting. At one end of the sensitivity range it is relatively sedate, making only sporadic adjustments; at the other end of the range it is downright frenetic.

One thing I've found is that the fluxgate unit that it uses to figure out courses can be VERY sensitive to what you put near it. I learned this when investigating why the autohelm was inexplicably schizophrenic in its course-holding decisions. Turn out it was confused by the portable rechargeable jump-starter/air-compressor thingie I had stowed on the floor of the head... right in front of the fluxgate. So it goes.

The other thing I've found is that the Raymarine brains don't handle cross-track error very well. If, for example, the autopilot is set to navigate to a waypoint (rather than just holding a magnetic course), it will periodically figure out that it is not on the straight-line track to the waypoint and do a "crazy ivan" maneuver to take you back to the track. E.g., if it discerns out you are 100 yards to starboard of the optimal line, it will do a hard turn to port, wait a bit, and then a hard turn back to starboard when back "on track".

A little disconcerting, which is why up here, in current, I usually just set it to hold a course. But where there is current, one must give extra attention to the "true" course, because the actual direction the boat is going in cross-current might be very different from the direction the boat is pointing.

Phr3d

Member II
Laule'a is now in her slip at Cabrillo Way Marina. What a fun trip. I appreciate all the support from everyone about all the little details getting ready. It turned out, there wasn't much wind either day until we got into the harbor at the end of the trip. The engine did it's sewing-machine impersonation without any complaint, we motored. The label on the Yanmar 3GM30F says "3400 rpm continuous", I stayed at 3000. GPS reported 6.5+ knots.

Along the way, there was lots to see. Literally, hundreds of dolphins were everywhere. We saw maybe 5 whales, one of which was so close when it came up for air, it looked like a collision was imminent. My first thought was, "I don't want to be the guy on the news whose boat was disabled by a whale ramming." My second was, "dang, I hate having fear of large animals." It may be he just wanted to look at us up close. The experience did remind me of having to clean sea lion crap off the dock lines prior to leaving Oceanside.

On the dog leg around the "don't go" area for Camp Pendleton, we noticed the fog was increasing. Better whale watching, harder for navigation. We had the paper chart and had labeled a course with estimates for time. The GPS coordinates confirmed we were nearly on the line very near predicted times. Didn't see any landmarks until the oil platforms showed up, tankers, container ships, then all-of-a-sudden, the Spruce Goose building. I do have to admit the fish farm was nowhere near as much fun as the Giant Artichoke off Hwy 183.

Phr3d

Member II
It is a ST4000 wheel pilot. It seems to be trying to do the correct thing for steering, but the noise it makes when correctly steering to port is quite different than the noise it makes when it can't seem to correct to starboard.

Maybe something inside?

1717774160210.png