• Untitled Document

Join us on September 27th, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the people you've met online!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

September Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

My Electrical Saga (ericson 27)

Eric Gordon

E27 - Sea Star
Soooo, I bought two new batteries and a NOCO Genius 10x2 battery charger.

Lo and behold, when I took everything apart, lugged the 150 pounds of lead to West Marine, and came back with my shiny new ’stuff,’ I realized (AFTER) removing the 30-year old burnt out charger, that the new charger is a plug in (3 prong) type and the old one was hard wired to a three wire line going to (I believe) a distribution panel.

There is a box located near the engine to which there are a grunchton of thick RED wires, two of which where hooked directly to the OLD charger.

1. I am considering using an orange extension cord which I will cut and splice into the existing wiring, so that I can plug the charger in, and still be able to use the on/off switch on my boat, as well as not void the warranty.

2. The aforemnentioned BOX….is this a charge isolator? I’m assuming it has something to do with the alternator and regulates voltage when the engine is charging the batteries? Since NOCO recommends hooking the charge cables directly to each of the batteries, am I safe hooking these up to the respective positive terminals for battery 1 (starter) and battery 2 (house)?

Any assistance/advice is appreciated.

Eric

PS- First poto shows the power supplied directly to OLD charger (I was going the directly wire the FEMALE end of an industrial extension cord to this so I can plug in the NOCO.

The secon d photo shows three positive leads to the OLD charger. One of these is removed because it was for a windlass which I have never used, nor had the third battery.

2 Positive cables from engine?.jpeg

Attachments

• 1 (power to old charger).jpeg
    1 (power to old charger).jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 12

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I would suggest returning the plug in charger in favor of a proper marine charger. The AC side must be properly done to avoid risk of catastrophic shock or fire, so make sure that is sound before connecting a new battery charger. The newer smart plugs are a huge step up.

Last edited:

Eric Gordon

E27 - Sea Star
Thank you…unfortunately I have already hooked everything up, and it SEEMS to be fine.

I would add that the NOCO charger is waterproof. I located the plug in an area that should not get wet. If water reaches there….the boat would have to be partially underwater.

I like that shore power plug