• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

My neighbor raced E-Scows...never heard of them, interesting!!!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A Scows on Barnegat Bay. Thirty feet long. Some had three cockpits. Twin daggerboards and rudders. Big spinnakers.

It was the 1950s, and they could tow a waterskier. And they capsized, too.

The A Scow sailor man was raaather rich, but he felt it important to race against other raaather rich A Scow sailor mans.

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
A Scows on Barnegat Bay. Thirty feet long. Some had three cockpits. Twin daggerboards and rudders. Big spinnakers.

It was the 1950s, and they could tow a waterskier. And they capsized, too.

The A Scow sailor man was raaather rich, but he felt it important to race against other raaather rich A Scow sailor mans.
I think I remember those on Barnegat bay (very shallow water in most places) but what I remember most were the Garvey races. I was a lifeguard - Island Beach State Park circa 1979

Last edited:

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
Midwestern boats made for shallow lakes. Currently by Melges here in Wisconsin. There are a number of fleets nearby of MC, C, E, and A scows. There's an MC in our sailing club. Huge amount of sail area on a little, flat, cat rigged boat. They really fly.
But the local one deign fleets of even the small scows still seem to me much as Christian describes.