• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Mystery Ericson????

Scott H.

Hello all knowing, all seeing Ericson Folks. Last August we purchased an Ericson and have since reworked about 90% of it (inside and out) and have now got it into the water. Love it, great boat.

Originally it was advertised as a 1985 Ericson 28+. After the purchase I started digging in a little deeper while looking for certain parts, info, etc. Long story short, It appears that the 28+ was built prior to 1985 and had characteristics that ours does not have, e.g. offset engine, etc? The boat to follow, the Ericson 28 (no +) is supposed to have started in 1986 and seems to have more the layout that our boat does. The other detail that I can't seem to find any info on, are the keel shapes and options during those years? Ours is a shoal draft (4 ft) fin with an angled leading edge and a straight vertical trailing edge (photos attached). That doesn't seem to match any of the photos, etc that I have found on the later 28s.

So, although I'm thrilled with the boat, I'm just curious why it's features don't seem to line up with any of the information I've found regarding layout, length, beam, engine position, keel, etc, etc? Do I have some kind of transition boat? Any help is greatly appreciated. The Hull # is: ERY 2860 6C585

Attachments

• Ericson 28 after bottom paint.jpg
    Ericson 28 after bottom paint.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Ericson 28 on the crain.jpg
    Ericson 28 on the crain.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 40

william.haas

1990 Ericson 28-2
Hi Scott... you do have a 28 and it was manufactured per your HIN in 1985 (I would guess it was the 1986 version). Sometimes on the internet (and on the manual) this model is referred to as the 28-2. Also, not sure if you were aware but your USCG registration number is 686223 and the vessel was named "DUTCH MASTER" hailing from Cleveland. There was an option during these model years for a performance keel that draws 5'6". We have sister vessels and feel free to ping me with any questions you may have about the boat.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Scott,
Do you have a T shaped cockpit, which was another change for the 28 (28-2) from the 28+?
The 28+ had a linear cockpit which suited the tiller but the offset engine made motoring with the tiller a chore.
Thank the stars you don't have the offset engine!
Ericson made running changes to their models, so the year is less certain.
Mark