• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Navigation with iPad/Bad Elf GPS: Best case, mounting, nav apps?

Shankara

Member II
Hello Vikings,

I’m going for the iPad/Bad Elf method of electronic navigation right now, and I’m wondering if there are any recommendations regarding waterproof iPad cases, mounting brackets for just inside the companionway versus on the binnacle, and the preferred navigation app? I did a trial of the Navionics app and it seemed pretty good.

Thanks!

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Not really recommendations, just experiences. I had a fling with “Lifeproof” brand cases for phone and pad. They do the job, but really add a lot of bulk. And they do not go on and off easily. Snapping your device into the case is a bit of a commitment. They used to have waterproof headphone jack adapters, but not waterproof power adapters. The Achilles Heel is the little door for the charging cable. If you’re going to navigate for any length of time, with GPS, WiFI, and 5G blazing, it’s going to run down the battery pretty quickly, so it has to be plugged in, and it’s not waterproof with the door open. And the door depends on tiny delicate snap tabs that break off after a few dozen uses, after which the case is no longer waterproof anyway. So the whole setup is only good for a season, at best.

But this may all be outdated since newer iThings are somewhat waterproof, or at least splash-proof on their own, without any case. My devices currently run naked As Steve Intended.

One problem with some brackets, is that they are too specific. They only work for certain devices. Or won’t fit if a bulky case is installed. Or only fit if a bulky case is installed. For example, the LifeProof specific mounting bracket. Or the cheap one that I made myself and is obsolete now, that I’ve moved on to a newer tablet.

More recently, I’ve drunk the Kool-Aid on “Railblaza” mounts, across the fleet. They’re painfully expensive for what they are. But the idea is that you can install the bases in a variety of places and thereafter easily swap the various device mounts to where you need them. And the bases can include a USB outlet, to plug in powered devices. The phone and tablet mounts include a little arm that helps to tilt them to face the direction you want, but I find that it sets them farther from the bulkhead than I wanted. On the other hand, I had to add a little extension arm to get the tablet to a comfortable angle for reading, when mounted on the table. But the $ystem Include$ all sorts of little widgets like that. Then suddenly you find that you’ve invested too much money in all that but you have to stick with the $ystem to maintain compatibility.

hjohnson

S/V Sagres
Hello Vikings,

I’m going for the iPad/Bad Elf method of electronic navigation right now, and I’m wondering if there are any recommendations regarding waterproof iPad cases, mounting brackets for just inside the companionway versus on the binnacle, and the preferred navigation app? I did a trial of the Navionics app and it seemed pretty good.

Thanks!
We have a tiller steered E27. iPad mounts under the dodger, next to the companionway using a universal tablet mount from Monoprice (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16068). It's far enough under the dodger that in all but the foulest weather, it stays dry, so we don't usually bother with a case. When it does get that foul, we either hole up or put it in a giant ziplock baggie. The mount base itself through-bolts into the cabin top, we remove the arm (and iPad obviously) when we're not using it, and store it below.

As far as the app, I run iNavX, and pull in all my sensor feeds via our Vesper AIS transponder.

Pete the Cat

Member III
I have a plotter with an external antenna, but have always preferred an Ipad with INavx. I hate vector charts. I have an old Ipad that has internal GPS that appears as accurate as my external Dual GPS unit I use with a more recent Ipad. I keep it plugged in most of the time and don't really notice any major amp usage. Now have Furuno wireless radar on the Ipad that overlays the charts and I think I could import AIS if I chose to do so--so many small boats are broadcasting AIS these days that it is annoying, so I have left that feature on the plotter. I am a pilot and most of us general aviation types rely mostly on the multiple capabilities and intuitive use of the Ipad over dedicated navigation devices installed in the airplanes. Much more intuitive and responds faster with much better resolution with much more capability in one device. Seems like boaters are sort of reluctant to adopt the much more capable electronics than the clunky stuff being sold in MFDs. I use a standard claw RAM mount and have no trouble putting it anywhere there is something to grasp. I generally do my serious offshore navigation below decks anyway, but it is easy to move the stuff up if I feel the need. I am a little curious as to why sailors seem to stick with clunky stuff for navigation when an old Ipad would have much more capability. Perhaps they have improved of late, but the MFDs I have used on deliveries seem really awful--poor resolution in the sun and weather, counter intuitive in finding what you need, and mostly relying on vector chart technology that was developed to accomodate the limited chip and memory capability of early devices. I guess it depends on how you use your boat and your preferences.

Richard Austin

Hi Everyone.

Bit of nerding here - has anyone played with exporting tracks from iNavX, and playing with the data? I’ve been doing that lately to augment the info with things like time moving, stopped time, and max speed over ground. 2 really cool things I’ve found that make this easy is Gpxpy - a python library for processing GPX files. The other is A-script, a free app for iPad that is a lite weight UNIX shell. A-Script comes complete with Python installed, so you can write scripts and run them on your iPad.

Bepi

E27 Roxanne
I have often thought about a custom box mounted to the cockpit bulkhead for my tablet. I have been looking for the right plastic window, one thin enough to allow touch function but thick enough to mount and caulk securely. It would also have a lid for removal and be powered by adding charger line through small hole in bulkhead. One of these days.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When the market offerings don't satisfy, you can make your own custom box. Create in cardboard or foam a shape to contain chosen instruments and take it to any plastics shop to be made in acrylic. The shape is tested on your boat, possibilities are unlimited, and they look seamless. Attach to binnacle guard using basic available fittings. This box was $200.

IMG_1134.JPG

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Hello Vikings,

Thanks!
I have a B&G Vulcan 7 at the nav station which has the maps and mirror it to an iPad at the helm, using this mount:

Have this weather proof case but seldom need to use it.

I also have the NOAA Nautical charts on the iPad and my iPhone as backup.

Remember that iPads will shut down when the screen temp hits about 95F. If in the sun that can happen pretty quick, and REALLY quick if in the sun in a case.

You also need power from a dedicated power outlet or a BIG external booster.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
My primary used almost exclusively are the maps (Navionics) mirrored from the Vulcan7.
The backup is: