Oil Filter Oops?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
This is such a basic item that I can't believe I have gone this long not noticing that I have a fuel filter installed instead of an oil filter. The filter I have been using for an oil filter is the Baldwin BF940, which was on the boat when I got it and I have just blindly been replacing since then. I went to order a replacement and was surprised to see it listed as a fuel filter. It seems to be working, but I would guess that it's too fine compared to an actual oil filter. Or maybe not? What are others using for oil filters? Purolator PL14610 is one I have seen mentioned. This is for a Universal M18 engine (probably uses the same filter as the M25).

Thanks,

Doug

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Doug,
I have used mostly Napa Gold 1288 as my oil filter, occasionally getting the OEM spec filter from the Kubota tractor dealer when I'm near there, as it's a few dollars cheaper. Both have worked fine.
I also use Napa Gold 3390 fuel filter as my secondary fuel filter, and sometimes the Kubota original, and haven't noticed any difference or problems.
I think Napa products are made by Wix, though I'm not certain.
Frank