• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

PACKING

tim

Does anyone else with an E-27 use any other size packing for their stuffing other than 1/8". I need to narrow it down because I need to replace the packing with the boat in the water. My boat has the 3/4" shaft so I am assuming it is 1/8" unless somebody knows that it might vary from one stuffing box to another. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Tim Thurner

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
The manual calls for 1/8" on a 3/4" shaft - did you see the packing instructions in the 27 manual or in the seperate packing instructions (available in the documentation portion of this site)?

I just tried to restuff mine and the nuts were seized.... :rolleyes:

Thanks,

tim

Thank you Sean for pointing out the document section I did not know it was there it helped alot. Also I found wrenches in a mcmaster carr catalog that work great for breaking the lock nut loose safely they are 30degreee angle pump wrenches mine were 1 7/16". They are small enough to work with in the confined space and only about 12 bucks apiece. hope that helps.
Thank alot Tim Thurner E-27 Pailolo

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Really? What's the catalog for the wrenches - can you give me a URL or phone number - I would love to be able to restuff my box without tearing up the nuts!

Thanks!

tim

The url is http://www.mcmaster.com scroll down to where they have the tools there they have the open end wrenches. The thin angle wrenches worked the best for me mine was frozen too. the part number if yours is 1 7/16" would be 5551a44. Good luck Tim Thurner

Robert Mann

Member I
I recently replaced the packing on my 26. I think the book is incorrect, there is no way 1/8" could seal a 0.75" dia shaft. The original packing around my 0.75" shaft looked like 1/4". After 12 years it's a bit difficult to tell! However, 1/4" nor 3/16" worked well, and I finally after 2 hot Saturdays, fitted 5/16" and it sealed.
This required a little more "grunt" than I would have liked.

I wonder if in 1988 Ericson were fitting any old parts they had lying around and never changed the documentation, hence the issue. But, after 12 absolutely dry years I can't complain. In fact the mechanic at the local yard chastised me, by saying if I had been more careful and adjusted more regularly it would have lasted 12 more.

Hope this might be of some use
Rob