• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pettit Trinidad - 1 Gallon

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Hello Club Members,

I purchased 2 gallons of Pettit Triniday Pro for Discovery and only used one. Original cost roughly 245 per gallon.
Anyone in the Club interested in purchasing a single gallon at a reduced price?

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Slick470

Member III
Mark, I would expect an unopened can would be still good the next time you need to paint your boat. Personally, I'd just hang onto it and use it next time.

I had most of a gallon of Trinidad left over from a previous bottom job and used it last year when we hauled to refresh. The paint was still fine and it looked and smelled just like the new quart I bought to finish the job. If you don't already know, you can take unopened cans to the West Marine in Deale and they will put it in their paint shaker. This really helps with Trinidad as the copper load really wants to settle in the bottom of the can and can get pretty compacted after a while sitting. If the can is opened, they won't shake it and it takes quite a while to mix it up.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Thanks Andy, I didn't know what to do with it so I offered it up. I'll take your advice and hold on to it for awhile. At this point, Discovery has two coats of Pettit Protect® High Build Epoxy Primer Kits, two coats of Trinidad Pro Antifouling Bottom Paint with Irgarol, and soon to have two coats of Pettit ablative Hydorcoat. My arms are killing me!

Boy do I wish I had a storage shed for all this boat stuff.

Thanks for the advice see you on the water some time

Mark "Souleman" Soule

Slick470

Member III
My basement and workshop are slowly being taken over by boat stuff so I definitely feel your pain. Hopefully a lot of it will end up back on the boat soon.

Why are you putting ablative over the Trinidad? I only use Trinidad and have had really good luck with it in herring bay, but I don't tend to haul out every year. Trinidad will need a re-coat if it is out of the water for a certain period of time and maybe that explains it if you tend to haul every year.

We also used the Pettit high build epoxy on our bottom after our blister remediation project back in 2014 and I haven't seen any issues on the subsequent haul outs.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
I started this project last year when I hauled out and found bubbles on the hull. As I have owned Discovery for 5 years and do not know her history, I decided to do a once and never again project to sand her down to the gelcoat and giver her a fresh bottom for my own peace of mind.

I found that Discovery had a primer coat, a hard coat, and ablative coat as I sanded her down. A couple of six packs of beer for the marina's painting and maintenance crews and I get some time and advice in return. The crew lead told me the three layers are what they do when they do this type of work.

BTW, Discovery did not have blisters filled with water/acid. The gelcoat was blistered and had no water/acid when opened. Dried, they look like half moon circles that leave circles when you can pick them out with a sharp knife. (*note: TotalBoat Polyester Fairing Compound to fix gelcoat blisters - great stuff).

Good talk, I appreciate the advice.

Mark "Souleman" Soule