• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Plain bearing vs ball bearing blocks, and where?

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
This is for a completely different reason. Almost all blocks are much better with bearings. Mast base blocks etc. The mast head sheaves I generally replace with solid self lubricating bronze bearings and better sheaves.
Yves and Eric and the cape horn don't crush the bearings so much as melt them. Most of the bearings in ball bearing blocks are various plastics that can be melted if constantly moving. (Which is generally only the case with self steering loads).
We did a study on these and had blocks made up with differing ball bearing composition from Garhauer. Indeed we melted the standard composition in about 1500 miles of steering, when replaced with higher heat bearings we have sailed over 3000 miles with no problems.
Not mentioned here is the fact that nylon "standard" blocks egg out under load and turn poorly under loads in almost all usages. Yes they are cheap, and they do suffer uv damage and are harder to use under load, but other than that standard nylon blocks are fine for light loads on things rarely used. :)
Guy
What kind of blocks would you install for a self-steering wind vane?
Stainless steel ball-bearing?

Guy Stevens

I don't know how easy raising a main should be. Even with the Tides, it's still work. My mainsail sheave is original and no great shakes.
Replacing the masthead sheaves is a well overdue project for most of our older boats.
We have a single vendor for these that makes wonderful sheaves about 1/2 the cost of most name brands.
What makes them good
1) black polymer uv resistant. We have been using these blocks in the tropics for over 15 years with no uv degradation.
2) Self lubricating solid bronze bearings. Turns easily and zero maintenance, because most people never go to the top of the mast.
3) amazing fast turn around for getting them to you. Normally next day shipping for custom sheaves.
4) Also makes new axels should you need them.
5) super nice man.
Zepherworks
Tell Ed Guy sent you.
Guy

Guy Stevens

What kind of blocks would you install for a self-steering wind vane?
Stainless steel ball-bearing?
We use a custom block set from Garhauer and tell Mark we need them for that application.
He uses a different ball type. Possibly ceramic or high heat composite.
The difference in responsiveness in the cape horns versus the nylon sheaves is very noticable.
Guy

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
Makes sense, but the guy from the yard on a crane or a rigger in a bosun's chair with a bottle of PB blaster and a pair of pliers won't drop any parts. I find house contractors and boatyard guys are frequently pre-disposed to replacement rather than repair.

I suspect your track/slugs are the central problem if your main sheave is turning freely. I wound up with the Tides system. I did it the foolish, time-expensive way, (by myself) but with my mast down, which is a cost it sounds like you want to avoid.

Kevin (@K2MSmith) had a rigger install the track on his boat in Sausalito for a reasonable sum, if I recall correctly. He may have a tip/reference for a professional second opinion.
My E-33 main (which is a big one) originally had the rope cord style mast track. It was always a 2 person operation to raise the main and it was almost impossible for me to do it single hand due to the friction in the system. That was the first thing to go and I got a tides system installed within a month. I am not particularly strong but I can hoist the main at the mast to the stop without a winch. I do have a cam cleat installed at the mast to hold the line which makes it easier. The weight of the sail is also a variable. I have a cruising laminate North main sail which is not the lightest sail but it is going to be lighter than the Dacron. (Depending on weight/thickness)
The installation is kind of trivial. I would probably do it myself if I had to do it again. The most difficult part is installing tides cars on the main. I had to have mine sewn on. the newer tides system have a removable pin, so depending on your main, you might not have to do that. (I later found out that the local sailmaker who sold me the tides system and installation actually sold me “new old stock” parts without telling me and that the newer tides system have removable pins on the cars - so be careful about that.).