Possible Scupper Design Flaw

galmvig

Member I
I have a 1987 E28+ and my scuppers drain to the sink outfall line. If I shut the seacock that the sink drains out of it does not allow the cockpit to drain. For example, if the seacock is shut and we get a big rain storm my cockpit begins to fill with water. Worse yet, the sink is lower than the cockpit when the cockpit is a quarter full which force water into the sink and ultimately into the galley. Therefore, I have to leave the seacock open year round which is not advantageous. I’m wondering if this the stock setup of the boat or if it was modified by the original owner. I sure would like a better setup like a direct drain from the scupper through the hull. Any input is appreciated.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have two scuppers on my 1984 E30+, one of which is like you describe. It took me a bit to figure out why the sink filled with water when I was away from the boat with all seacocks closed. I now leave both scupper seacocks open, no more water in the sink. I did replace all my seacocks a few years ago, so I know they are good.
I know of some on this site who changed that arrangement and ran the scupper house to a new direct thru hull.
Frank

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Yes, that was the standard arrangement from the factory in many models. Here is the 30+ diagram showing it. When I got my 30+ that thru hull would not close and was slowly leaking, so I had to address it immediately. If you have the original off-white ribbed bilge hoses, they are long past due for replacement. When I removed mine they split apart easily. Scary!

Image 9-26-23 at 8.04 AM.jpeg

I hated this arrangement for the reason you describe and because the thru hull was nearly impossible to reach- I had to lie prone on the sole and reach as far back as I could all the while scraping my shoulder on door sill. So I moved both scupper exits to new thru hulls under the stern counter and just above the waterline and relocated the sink thru hull with a dedicated seacock that is easy to reach. I can now close all below water thru hulls when I leave the boat. I do not currently have seacocks on the scupper thru hulls but may add them later. I used the drain fittings with the ball in them, which tend to clog and need frequent cleaning. Some people have removed the balls which improves cockpit drainage, but then you might be subject to some water entering the cockpit when heeled over.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Logically, I see no reason to close thruhulls when leaving the boat. I figure they have to be absolutely trustworthy, or replaced immediately. Hoses too, which are more likely to fail and sink the boat. So I leave my seacock valves open.

I get that there's more than logic to peace of mind, but at least some of us have no problem leaving seacocks open.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I get that there's more than logic to peace of mind,
I am logically inclined, but in this case I just feel better knowing they are closed when I leave the boat. I made sure that I replaced all seacocks and thru hulls and hoses with the highest quality replacements so I certainly could leave them open and it would be fine. But I'm probably a bit scarred from worrying about the continuously dripping seacock which I could do nothing about when my newly purchased boat was sitting 6 hours away. I definitely lost a couple nights sleep envisioning the drip turning into a torrent and receiving a call that the boat was sitting on the bottom!

galmvig

Member I
Yes, that was the standard arrangement from the factory in many models. Here is the 30+ diagram showing it. When I got my 30+ that thru hull would not close and was slowly leaking, so I had to address it immediately. If you have the original off-white ribbed bilge hoses, they are long past due for replacement. When I removed mine they split apart easily. Scary!

View attachment 48225

I hated this arrangement for the reason you describe and because the thru hull was nearly impossible to reach- I had to lie prone on the sole and reach as far back as I could all the while scraping my shoulder on door sill. So I moved both scupper exits to new thru hulls under the stern counter and just above the waterline and relocated the sink thru hull with a dedicated seacock that is easy to reach. I can now close all below water thru hulls when I leave the boat. I do not currently have seacocks on the scupper thru hulls but may add them later. I used the drain fittings with the ball in them, which tend to clog and need frequent cleaning. Some people have removed the balls which improves cockpit drainage, but then you might be subject to some water entering the cockpit when heeled over.

Thanks for the schematic and all the information l. This is very helpful. I will likely try and tackle this issue the next two me I pull the boat out. Very much appreciated.

galmvig

Member I
Logically, I see no reason to close thruhulls when leaving the boat. I figure they have to be absolutely trustworthy, or replaced immediately. Hoses too, which are more likely to fail and sink the boat. So I leave my seacock valves open.

I get that there's more than logic to peace of mind, but at least some of us have no problem leaving seacocks open.
Understood. When it comes to boats, I’m a little over cautious but I’m also learning more each year.

galmvig

Member I
i put a rubber stopper in the sink
i put a rubber stopper in the sink drain.
thanks for the input. Unfortunately, that still requires the seacock to be open. If the seacock is shut the water fills the cockpit and backflows into the sink. A rubber stopper would keep water from flowing into the galley but water would still fill the cockpit. Just seems like the scupper should drain directly out through the hull. That’s how it’s done in most boats. Not sure why Ericson choose to design the boat to drain this way.

steven

Sustaining Member
Geoff, I misunderstood your question.

I believe draining the cockpit below the water line is a generally bad practice.
As you point out that turns the cockpit into a bathtub when seacocks are closed
I usually leave them open except I think its safer to keep them closed if wintering in the water.

If the cockpit floor is above he waterline by at least a couple of inches, you could use a rigid pipe to drain to a hole in the hull.
My yard says my boat (E35-2) could just barely make it for the rear scuppers (and plug the fwd scuppers from the top).

I've have tried alternative methods:
1. divert the cockpit drain to a holding tank lower than the cockpit floor, and pump it overboard. If your cockpit is, say 3" x 60" and you get 3" of rain I calculate 6000 cu in ~ 25gal (please check my math).
2. put a temp pump/switch in the cockpit for auto pump overboard. Easy and cheap, but won't work if the pump freezes.

I used plan 2 last winter. Worked ok but clogged periodically.
This winter I'm planning on approach #1. But I'll use a temp plastic tub on the cabin sole instead of a tank.

--Steve

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Interesting. On my 1987, E28-2 the cockpit drains exit directly to the fittings on the bottom of the boat. No sea cocks at all. Sink drain has its own dedicated sea cock.