Re-Rig

Captain Crunch

Member II
Hello, On my E-35 all the halyards are raised from the mast. I don't think the mast is stock. Tall rig I think. The winches and cleats are mounted on it. I would like to run all the lines aft to the cockpit. Except for the headsail uphaul. There is already a crappy small spinnaker winch (I currently don't own a Spin.) on the starboard side that I would like to move to the port side and use for one of the reefing lines and maybe the topping lift. Then I would like to take the winch off the mast and mount it on the starboard side for the main uphaul, another reefing line,and outhaul. All with the appropriate roller blocks and cam blocks (hope this is the right terminalogy). Which finally brings me to drilling through the deck and using maybe teak backing plates to mount all the hardware. I would like to know if there is any special considerations for this procedure. Tricks? Washer size? Sealents? Thanks for any info.

Last edited:

Guy Stevens

The Rule

"The first rule of rigging: Fair leads........

There are no other rules."

Brion Toss

Seriously, this is a mod that can make sailing the boat a tiny bit easier, or a whole lot harder. You may want to have a pro look at it, it can make huge differences....

Guy
:)

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
My boat is setup with the halyards and vang back to the cockpit. The outhaul, reefing lines, etc. are all still on the boom/mast. Since I don't race I don't constantly adjust them. Everything I have read about reefing setup that run into the cockpit seems to indicate they are more trouble than they are worth. Lastly with 4 halyards a vang and the mainsheet the area under the dodger is already swimming in line. I cannot imagine adding reefing lines, outhaul, etc. to the nest. I do like the convenience of the setup I have now as it allows me to set and douse sails without leaving the cockpit which is the whole point. Consider only moving what you need, not everything, to the cockpit. RT

Captain Crunch

Member II
My main concern is I have a lot of inexperienced sailors on my boat. My reasons for wanting to run the lines aft are first safety and second convience. The seas don't get that big where I mostly sail (Strait of Georgia), but it can be a wild ride in a 30 knot plus breeze. Guy: What do you mean by "The first rule of rigging: Fair leads........

There are no other rules."
Is it a bad idea to run some of the lines to the cockpit? A lot of other boats are rigged this way. I was planning on copying one. What lines would you recommend to run aft for some one who likes to keep sailing in changing wind conditions and is interested in some single handed and racing.

Last edited: