• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Recommended Upgrades for a 1978 E27?

wjgray3

Is there a list of recommended upgrades for an E27? I searched in vain for any kind of a list. Sometimes there are recommendations for various things that should be addressed, and this kind of a forum would seem ideal to find such a listing. I couldn't find it with my poor search skills, so I'm resorting to the greater knowledge of this forum. I am considering the acquisition of an E27, and want to know what are the recommended (and in some cases, mandatory) things that should be addressed if they haven't already been addressed. Any help out there?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Mostly non model-specific things like deck moisture and rot, thru hulls, hoses etc. Somewhat unique to the E27 are the glassed-in internal chainplates. These can be hard to inspect but have been known on some occasions to suffer corrosion if water is allowed to get in thru the deckplate over the years. Also the single aft cockpit drain passes through the boat and its attachment to the hull is not very secure, which can let water into the boat. Inspection is accomplished by removing the panel at the foot of the quarterberth. Otherwise it's the usual old boat stuff.

JPS27

Member III
I have an E27 and I would second what bigd14 says. Every boat is in different shape. Mine was a bucket of problems invisible to my naive eye, so I got in "cheap" and then slowly realized all the challenges and $$$. But, several years later my projects are under control for the most part. Get all of the safety issues worked out first. Then I'd say singlehanding-assist issues, then pretty it up. The single best upgrade I made if I had to choose was the auto pilot.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
I had a '77 E27 for over 20 years. They are a Skookum built boat and not a lot of inherent problems with them. The chain plates have been mentioned and the other thing is to look at the mast just aft of the spreader attachment point. There was some problems with the mast 'dimpling' in that spot from the spreader pressure. Other than that it's mostly just maintenance issues specific to your boat and what the PO's did (or didn't) do with it.

As far as upgrades, the best things I did were:

1. Added Roller Furling
2. Added a dodger
3. Took out the A4 (was shot) and put in a diesel.
4. Autopilot (I had a wheel model).
5. Cabin heater ( I added both a Red Dot off the engine coolant and a kerosene heater).

I will warn you after I added the roller furling on the jib I rarely used the main. I'm a cruiser not a racer, and putting up the main vs a 110 genoa only got me another half knot. Not worth the effort for the gain.

I'm in the Pacific NW. Having a dodger to get out of the weather is a huge improvement in livability on the boat. Both from rain, wind, and even the sun when it finally decides to come out. With a wheelpilot added with a remote control, I made a small seat that fit over the first hachboard in the companionway. I could sit on it out of the weather with my lower body in the warm cabin and beat or motor into the nastiest weather in comfort. Also if you are at anchor, you can have the hatch open regardless of the weather. The cabin of an E27 gets a bit claustrophobic after 2 days in a downpour. Just having a covered front porch that you could leave the door open on made a big difference.

The diesel was a great addition for me. I would not suggest replacing an A4 that was in good working order but mine was shot. It was a big expense to do but over the next 20 years I got every penny out of it. Not just the reliability and safety of a diesel, but it increased your motoring range by a factor of 4. The A4 burned about 1 gallon / hr. The Perkins M20 I put in was about 1 qt. / hr.

Depending on your location, this list may or may not be what you need most. But you've got a great boat that will serve you well if you take care of her.

Good luck!

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
WJGray3,

What will help, when you find an E27 you like, is to post the listing and photos here. Members can be quite specific then, assuage fears and even give upgrade time and cost estimates.

Welcome aboard and good luck with the search.

goldenstate

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
@wjgray3

In my limited experience, the best way to figure out what my sailboat needed was to go out and sail it. Then I started fixing things I needed and wanted.

If you're looking at a late 70's E27, the most important 'upgrade' to consider is your wallet. You'll probably be into the boat for mid/low single digit thousands at purchase, but then need to spend hours and hours and 2-10x your boat cost if you really want it to be ship shape and reliable.

I'll lob my personal theory again that there is no tidy, reliable Ericson that costs less than $30k if you allow any cost for your labor.

It may not be the upgrades you need to worry about, but rather getting the boat back into normal operating condition.

Have fun, and remember to date a lot of people (see a lot of boats) before you get married (buy one).