• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Refrigerator Space

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Joe, I mounted the compressor/condensor on the lower shelf of the starboard lazerette. I couldn't really find a better spot for it especially since my boat was pre-wired from the factory for a/c and d/c refrigeration and the wires were already routed from the power panel to the Lazerette.

When we have some real hot weather 90-100, I run the engine exhaust fan from time to time if motoring. This helps to dump some hot air.

WBurgner

Member III
Compressor vent from galley

I am not sure of the E35 configuration, but on my E381 air for the compressor fan come through a teak grill in bulkhead near the back of the sink. This allows cooler air to flow over the heat exchanger. Can a similar opening be created on the E35 that allows cabin air to flow to the shelf in the lazerette?

RON CARTER

Member I
Our 35-III has the evaporator (flat plate Norcold) on the port side, and has an L shaped Lexan shelf running down the starboard side and aft. Even with the shelves things can go disappearing in there, and its on my list of things to do to come up with a better shelf configuration. I'll see if I can get a picture in a few days.

-Cory
E35-III #163
Cory. We have a 35-3 #127 in Pt Roberts Wa. that we are going to add refrig to large ice box. I am impressed with technology in Norcold, with swing motor compressor and auto switching AC/DC but keep hearing bad comments on them related to short life, noise , and efficiency ... How do you like your unit ? Can you keep frozen items near the plate, or do you operate as a large refrig, with no freezer area? Ron Carter

joerun26

Member II
Good Thought

Bill - I do have a access opening between my galley and the starboard lazarette (behind the sink similar to what you're describing). Opening it would allow some additional ventilation to the compressor. I could even put some forced air flow there when it gets really hot.

Thanks for the suggestion..
joe

Bud H.

Member II
Last year we decided to spend the money and put in a Waeco Coolmatic series 8o from West Marine in our E-35-2 Queenie. IMHO it was the best money we ever spent and if I had it to do over again it would have been the first upgrade I made after buying the boat. Over here in Eastern Washington the summers get hot, real hot. I used to haul out three frozen one gallon water bottles plus a ten pound bag of ice to cool the icebox on a typical weekend Friday through Sunday. I would usually have to buy another bag of ice Saturday afternoon and depending on when we were leaving another one on Sunday.
Last spring my friend Chuck and I installed the Waeco unit in about an hour and it has really done the job for us.
I bought a Rubbermaid plastic basket that sits on tiny legs on the floor of the fridge, I drilled a few hole into the bottom of the basket for drainage. When we get to the boat late Friday afternoon I fill the basket with waters, pop and beer and dump a 7lb bag of ice on top of them. With the Waeco on high for a couple of hours and then turned down a bit for the rest of the weekend everything stays nice and chilled and there is usually ice left in the basket when we go home Sunday afternoon.
To anyone who hasn’t installed one of these conversion kits I say “get er done!’. You won’t regret it.