• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sailing solo during the crisis - for a cause

TimTimmeh

Member II
Hi Vikings,

Since I was asked by my employer to reduce my work hours as a first measure as they try to avoid any layoffs for the current and expected slow-down, I've decided that instead of worrying about what will unfold for me and my family I will take that time to make sure I get out on the water. I created a fundraising page for my friends and family, who I would normally be inviting to join me, and will be posting trip reports and donating $$ for every mile I cover under sail with a goal of 100 miles.

I think I will cross-post the reports here as well just for fun. I suggest if you can safely get to your boat while practicing physical distancing you should turn off the news and get out on the water. My first day sail is going to be on this Friday April, 3. and I will be continuing every Friday until May 8th.

eknebel

Member III
Best of luck to you! In Maryland, we were just placed under restrictions that the Natural Resources police say don't allow for recreational boating. Only for sustenance fishing and crabbing. Mmm... where is that fishing pole?
To head off replies, as someone who is has all three risk factors, I was practicing social isolation to a lesser degree already. My wife is a nurse so I personally understand the risks and workload of first responders.
I walk to my boat, and sail single handed. I haven't ever been assisted or stopped in my sailboat, so I feel the odds are low of putting first responders in danger. Unless they decide they want to increase risk to all involved if they stop me. By my analysis, the benefit of sailing/exercise outweighs the risk to first responders. I have sent a email to the Natural Resources police to see what they advise, and if i need to bother with the fishing pole.

Last edited:

TimTimmeh

Member II
Stay safe, keep your distance and don't run afoul of your local authorities, and good on you for checking with them, the last thing they need is increased workloads. I looked over the stay at home order you have been placed under in Maryland, and there was an exception for outdoor exercise activities so maybe that applies to you. Our Government in BC seems to have adopted a pragmatic approach and banned the high risks such as gatherings, businesses that can't maintain physical distance requirements, and the physical distance requirement itself (2m) is now law (i think). They are still recommending we get outside and enjoy some alone time with nature as long as we can ensure the distance. I have stopped my other more risky activities such as Mountain biking that may end up with me requiring a hospital visit, but solo sailing is a tailor made, safe getaway option for now. It requires no close contact with anybody at all. I'm an easy walk to the boat, know my area and weather very well and always sail solo, even if I have passengers.

eknebel

Member III
I am hoping that the marine police see it that way as well, and they will focus attention on raftups and the like. All the clubs in the Annapolis area have canceled all sailboat races thru June, possibly beyond. The official word is boating is not exercise, but you can standup paddle board, kayak, and canoe. I think short handed sailing is exercise, at least for me!

TimTimmeh

Member II
Day 1 of daysailing challenge. April 3, 2020.

The day started looking like a bust for sailing, calm winds, cold and overcast. After spending time getting prawn gear and baits sorted I motored out to set a few traps and await a change in the weather. Water darkened to the north indicating an approaching front. Scrambled to get the sail cover and ties off the main, but the winds filled in to a fresh 15kts before it was ready, so unfurled the genny and started the ride on port tack. Removed the port lazy jacks and finished prepping then tacked to starboard and raised the main. No sooner then the halyard was made fast, the wind settled down to about 8 kts and Valkyrie sailed smartly up Stuart channel heading NW at 6kts overground. Covered about 2 miles before the winds dropped further, backed to west then died completely. It was drizzling and cold during the N winds so I went bellow to warm up with a hot drink. From bellow I felt the boat start to heel, so back up to be greeted by clearing skies and a building breeze, now decidedly WSW. Loosened off the sheets and Valkyrie was soon on a broad reach continuing NW up Stuart channel towards Ruxton island. By the time we were passing by Miami islet (named for the coal barge lying wrecked there) it was time to head back. I turned to port and hardened the sheets until Vakyrie was ready for the beat back home. Hard on the wind we tacked several times to keep to the open part of the channel with the strongest breeze.
After the fith tack the wind suddenly veering to NW, gusting to 20kts and pouring rain. Nearly rounding up, I quickly let out the sheets and got settled on a broad reach for a few moments until the winds died to completely calm. This is the essence of spring sailing, just like how the land folks can't figure out what to wear, you have to be versatile and react to the whimsy of the weather.
I eventually gave up, furled the head sail and motored back to my traps were there were two dozen juicy spot prawns waiting for dinner.

Total miles covered under sail: 16.38NM
Top speed: 6.5
Average: 3.6
Time: 4:30

TimTimmeh

Member II
Day 2 of daysailing Challenge

April 11 2020
Untied lines at 9am and motored out into a rousing 12 knot Northwest breeze. Clouds obscured the morning sunshine, blending sombre tones of grey in sea and sky. Although anxious to raise the sails, I still maintained my routine of setting prawn traps outside the bay to greet me upon my return. No sooner than the marking buoy was cast off, I had the genoa set close-hauled on port tack and raised the main. I often raise sails without motor power. If you sail and haven't tried it, you really should.
The breeze was soon down to 8kts as Valkyrie made way northward through Stuart channel. Clouds cleared, the winds died further, and soon Valkyrie was beating up the wide channel in just 5kts of wind under blue sky and sunshine. I spotted another sailor coming from the west and now heading northbound. I heard once that whenever two boats are within sight and headed in similar directions, the race is on...and so it was. I was using all my tricks to keep 3 to 4 kts of boat speed, loosened the outhaul and halyard, reduced backstay, constantly adjusting the traveler, fiddled with the fairleads. No matter my efforts, I just couldn't close the gap.
Soon the wind died further, and along with the foul current Valkyrie was no longer making much headway at all. The other boat gave up and started drifting south, I persevered for some time but made no more northward progress. The water was glassy to the north, but a light breeze had built up to the south, perfect for an A-sail reach back toward home.
Set the kite "purple haze" for a close reach and started seeing some boat speed; 5 then up to 6 kts with only 5 kts apparent wind, just forward of the beam. I'm always amazed when Valkyrie exceeds the wind speed through the magic of fluid dynamics. A close reach soon led to a beam reach, broad reach then finally a run dead down wind, I managed to get the kite flying wing on wing which is the most efficient way to get ddw on Valkyrie without an actual spinnaker.
As I made my way back to my traps I doused the kite and got the Genoa set in the light winds. I spotted the buoy and managed to pick it up under sail, first try. Hauled up 30 prawns and a small surprise as well.

Miles under sail 19.73 nm
Time 6 hrs