Self-Tailing Winch Jaws Adjustment

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Older self-tailing winches often seem to lose their hold on the line, resulting in a return to the two-handed approach.

Thanks to a Barient diagram provided by Bruce Gary in this thread, I was able to remove a spacer and return the jaws to a useful grip on the line.

This is a Barient 23, and I don't know that all Barients have a spacer plate that allows adjustment. It's also possible that some ST winch jaws just won't work well with modern small-diameter line, or line that is very stiff, as Dyneema can be.

The spacer plate is located under the jaws.

Barient 23 with spacer.JPGx

It comes out easily, and doesn't require disassembly of the gears.

Many of us have noticed the inaccuracy of Barient exploded diagrams, in which the model number of the winch in hand simply doesn't match the manual so denoted. Even so, it may be worthwhile to examine a non-grasping ST winch, on the odds that it contains a spacer plate expressly designed for smaller diameter lines.

Video sequence, Spring 2024:

Indexed as a Thelonious Blog entry.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Well, now I know what I'm going to be doing this week. I thought my new lines turned my winch into a standard winch. I can't wait to see if we get the same results and I can use self tailing again! Thanks Bruce and Christian!

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Like I said, I know what I'll be doing this week... Turns out, mine is a barient 19. I like this one a lot better than the 27 primaries. You can remove the whole assembly without removing the base from the boat:

20240610_181646.jpg

I even found the same shim and it seems to do the trick:

20240610_180155.jpg

I did run into a small problem though. One of the spring bolts sheered or was sheered. I've never seen a bolt do this before. It's still connected.

20240610_180250.jpg20240610_180504.jpg
20240610_180527.jpg

It looks like it was a problem in the past since there's 4 different bolt, spring, and spacer combinations.

17180694576771562716997261634328.jpg

Doors anyone have a source for replacement bolts?

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Well... The more I'm looking at this, the more it's looking like this which isn't in great shape. Other than the tailer slipping, it was working great, but there's more corrosion than I was expecting. 20240610_183617.jpg20240610_183612.jpg20240610_183554.jpg20240610_183544.jpg20240610_183539.jpg20240610_183604.jpg

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I got it all back together this afternoon. I sent an email to https://www.arco-winches.com/ requesting a quote for some replacement parts and received a prompt response. Replacement jaws were a little more expensive than I wanted to put into this winch with the corrosion on the drum, but it's nice to know you can still get parts for these winches. The final order was for 4 shoulder bolts and springs, and a set of 4 pawls and 8 springs. All the pawls and springs were in good shape, but I thought it would be a good idea to add to an order shipping from Australia. I assembled the winch with the old screws and springs to have a working winch and test the tailer without the spacer. Everything works as advertised! Thanks Bruce and Christian!

One note of caution to others cleaning a Barient 19, make sure you pay attention to the assembly drawing. I spent an extra hour trying to figure out why the winch was binding only to find out I put the bushing in the wrong position. I thought it went above the bearing, but this resulted in the drum sitting about 1/8" too high and not providing a surface for the stripping arm to seat:

Here's the wrong setup:

20240615_142128.jpg
This resulted in the should screws touching the bottom of the stripping arm and the winch binding. I took the bushing off, installed the drum and put the bushing in the corect order:
20240615_142118.jpg

Here's what it looks like when everything's in the correct order and the spacer Bruce and Christian noted above is removed:

20240615_142101.jpg

It grabs my 10mm main halyard much better:

20240615_142450.jpg

I should receive the correct shoulder screws from Arco Winches in a week or two then we'll be good to go.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I was looking at the assembly drawing again (https://l-36.com/winches_pages.php?winch=mod19.htm) and noticed the plate is called a screw stop plate on the barient 19. Kind of strange when the shoulder screws are self bottoming. I wonder what screws the plate is stopping or if it is just a shim and it's mislabeled.