• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Sheeting 155% inside of Lifelines

Mark David

Member II
Has anyone tried 'bending' the first few stations outboard so the genoa can be sheeted inside the lifelines and outside of the shrouds on my old 32-2?

An old timer suggested/remembered this at our club's beer wall last summer and it has stuck in my mind...

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Maybe somebody else has heard of that.

Some lifelines are led to the base of the pulpit to accommodate headsails.

Sometimes a pennant can be added to raise the foot above the lifelines.

genoa pennant.JPG

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yup. The factory scheme for the stanchions on the Olson 34, had then all tilted out several degrees. I have been told that full crews like this for sitting out on the high side when racing. We soon realized that it made stepping on and off, over the lifelines, much harder when docking and undocking. I straightened them with wedges under each base.
Lots of boats do lead the forward lifelines to eyes on the base of both sides of the bow pulpit, and it does help smooth out the jib surface, but only until the jib is tight against the outside of the lifeline. To bring it in further someone still has to lift it over (if the boat has a deck sweeper style headsail).

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
“To bring it in further someone still has to lift it over (if the boat has a deck sweeper style headsail).”
Skirt!!! ;-)