Sling Placement for haul out - E35 mkii 1976

tgrace

I am having to haul the boat on Friday and if I remember correctly (from when I had her surveyed) the aft sling should be at or just forward of the forward cockpit winch..... Does that sound correct? I tried finding a side view schematic of the hull but was not succesful. Any advice would be appreciated - Tim

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
:nerd: I wonder if it would be a good idea to paint or decal some subtle marks - say, on the cove stripe - to indicate the correct sling positions? When mine was hauled this winter, the yard guy$ me$$ed around for at least 30 minute$ finding the right spot. And then there was a conflict between the sling and the pads on my trailer, which wanted to be in the same spot.

steven

Sustaining Member
Yard needs to keep the aft sling off the shaft and prop. I think it depends where your engine is. My engine is aft.

Whisper pictures 4.06 023.jpg Whisper pictures 4.06 026.jpg

(Underbody for hauling (enhanced WHE70DB).JPG

--Steve

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
The drawings you are looking for are available at : sailboat data.com I tried to post the file directly but am a computer idiot. Once there type in Ericson 35-2 and it will bring up the floor plan Side view (including underwater) drawing and a fairly complete list of measurements and capacities. Edd

tgrace

Thanks....

Great ideas and thank you... I should have mentioned she is a mid ship engine placement... Sailboatdata.com showed exactly what I needed to know and had forgotten how far forward the prop was. Just reminds me why she responds so well in reverse....
icon8.gif
Thanks again for all your input - Tim

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
If I remember right there is a bit more shaft than the drawing shows so you need to get the aft strap as close to the fin as you can. Edd

tgrace

Oh boy........

Now you have me a bit confused..... From the drawing the shaft exits the hull directly above the bottom aft section of the fin..... I am hoping if I stay a couple feet aft of the cabin I will be OK..... Will let you know.. - Tim

Emerald

Where are the bulkheads located? Typically, those are the areas that are strongest where slings go well, of course assuming clearance on keel, prop shaft etc.

tgrace

Thx David..... Unfortunatly the aft bulkhead is above the prop shaft (I believe).... I will be sure ti take pics this time and am kicking myself for not taking those when she was surveyed. In fact I believe I have the pics from the survey but they are 400 miles to the south....... Keeping fingers crossed and will know the outcome in a few hours - Tim

tgrace

Out of the water......

She came out like a charm yesterday with the aft sling sitting a couple feet aft of the cabin..... Sailboatdata.com was a boat saver !!!! Thanks all for your assistance - Tim

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Well this time take some pictures! Maybe post them! And may I suggest that if we can get enough people doing it on all the models they should be housed in with the documents and info of the download section! Seems like a common and important question that should have an easily accessible answer in a form you can print out and hand to the guy with the straps. What say the site gods & masses?

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
I have the under-dinette seat engine configuration. Here's two pics from different haulouts.

IMG_3063.jpgIMG_2930.jpg

Last edited:

tgrace

PICS?....... That is a great idea and I have a slew of them now and once I download them I will post them - Tim

steven

Sustaining Member
I keep several such pics in plastic sheets and give them to both the yard manager and the lift operator for hauling and launching. I've encountered a yard or two tha hauled, launched, moved without telling me. So I keep a set tied conspicuously to the wheel.

D & DM Cahill

Member II
sling placement

Hi. I faced the same problem in wanting to make sure the slings were placed in the right places when we first hauled out our "new to us" boat, Amazing Grace, an E38 standard layout. Fortunately, the Travelift driver was very good and after we had Amazing Grace on the stands, I asked him to point out where the slings should go while I placed lables on each side on the places that he had indicated. Now each new Travelift driver knows where the slings go. I also keep pictures on the boat of the boat hanging in the slings of the Travelift. (You probably have already had this suggestion, but I thought I would let you know that it works.) Thanks. Dave

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Hi. I faced the same problem in wanting to make sure the slings were placed in the right places when we first hauled out our "new to us" boat, Amazing Grace, an E38 standard layout. Fortunately, the Travelift driver was very good and after we had Amazing Grace on the stands, I asked him to point out where the slings should go while I placed lables on each side on the places that he had indicated. Now each new Travelift driver knows where the slings go. I also keep pictures on the boat of the boat hanging in the slings of the Travelift. (You probably have already had this suggestion, but I thought I would let you know that it works.) Thanks. Dave

What did you use for labels? Does it actually say "lift here?" I was thinking of just putting a white stripe within the cove stripe, or maybe a decorative decal of some sort.

D & DM Cahill

Member II
sling placement

Hi Toddster. Several years ago, I bought a battery operated digital lable maker that prints out on a white plastic lable tape. My lables just say "SLING" and are about an inch long. I placed them just above the rub rail so they really don't detract from the appearance of the boat yet are not likely to be scrubbed off. They have lasted about 3 years now and when they come off or look too bad I will just create new ones. Hope this helps. Thanks. Dave

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Oh, I have one of those. Never actually considered that they might be weatherproof. Or rail-dunking proof. Will give it a try.

I also have the cartridge that prints black letters on clear tape. Among other things, I use it to put the date and mileage of oil changes on the inside corner of vehicle windshields. You don't see it unless you look for it.

Dave N

Member III
I am having to haul the boat on Friday and if I remember correctly (from when I had her surveyed) the aft sling should be at or just forward of the forward cockpit winch..... Does that sound correct? I tried finding a side view schematic of the hull but was not succesful. Any advice would be appreciated - Tim

Shaft location depends on interior layout. Opposing setees have it located further aft, as the engine is under the companionway stairs(Whisper photos). U-shaped seating has engine and shaft forward more(Katherine S photos).

Last edited: