Teak

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I am looking for a source for the teak for the cockpit, 9'4" x 12" x 1". I am in the vicinity of Syracuse. I can carry it in my trailer, and am willing to road trip a few hundred miles to find it if anyone has a suggestion.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

escapade

Inactive Member
teak lumber sources

Gareth
Public Lumber in Detroit, Mi has teak. You can check them out @ www.publiclumber.com Barn Door Lumber In Hemlock, Mi & Greenia Woodworking in Reese, Mi also carry teak in the rough & you can have them mill it to your specs. It's pricey though! I can't believe there aren't any speciality woodworking shops closer than that to you but if you would like I can get more specific info for these businesses. Let me know if there's anything I can help with. I would think shipping common carrier would be cheaper than driving, though.
Bud

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I will contact the place in Detroit tomorrow, if you can find a phone number for the other I would appreciate it.
Those pieces are not a common size, and I have not yet found any yards willing to go looking for it.
Gareth

escapade

Inactive Member
the numbers

Gareth
The phone # for Greenia Custom Woodworking is 989-868-9790. Barn Door Lumber Co. is 989-642-8309. Price runs about $18.00 bd.ft. in the rough plus $.25 ft. for millwork. I have purchased material from both and it has been top quality (but not cheap!!). I guess I'm getting old. The first teak lumber I bought cost $4.50 bd.ft. Wish I'd have bought a couple hundred ft at that price. Oh well!
Bud

clayton

Member III
Teak source

Gareth -
Check out www.woodshopnews.com , go to the links and there's a list of woodworking suppliers. In Mass there's Downes & Reader, and there are a couple of links to "rare exotic wood" further down the list. In the back of Fine Woodworking Magazine, there's an ad for www.anexotichardwood.com with an 888-434-3031 number. Good luck.

Clayton