• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Upper, Middle and Lower Chesapeake Bay

jtsai

Member III
I just completed a road trip explored eastern VA/MD shore visited Kiptopeke, Cape Charles, Onancock, Tilghman Is., St. Michales, Kent Island, then crossed Bay Bridge to Annapolis (Bacon Sails!), and Urbana. I inquired several locals including staff at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum where are the geographic boundaries delineate Upper, Middle, and Lower Chesapeake Bay. No one seems to have a definite answer. Publications on the web make reference to ecological separation that does not agree to what I have heard. Anyone can shine some lights to this question? Is the Bay Bridge the middle to upper bay boundary? What is the lower and middle bay boundary?

Really enjoyed visiting the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. I was the only paying customer that day so had lots of 1-1 interactions with shipwrights building the Maryland Dove.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Nothing official here of course but I consider northern bay anything above Baltimore roughly speaking (and this is a all roughy speaking), middle bay between there and the mouth of the Patuxent River, with southern bay between there and Norfolk. My opinion, of course, and with that and about two bucks you can get a coffee at Starbucks.

Navman

Member III
I agree with Bolo on the general divisions. Central bay South could be either the Pax or Point Lookout, North would be the North side of the bay bridge.

Navman

Member III
Went down to the boat this weekend. Saturday was the nicer of the two days so I spent my time painting the hull under the stands, lubing up the thru hull valves, installed the improved sea strainer for the engine, took off the boat cover and basically got the exterior of the boat ready to splash on March 8th. Saturday night was cozy with a nice bowl of Mulligatawny stew for dinner. Sunday was rainy so I concentrated on the inside work which consisted of taking off the starboard settee plywood cover and exposing the 75 gallon water tank beneath. I discovered that there were two baffles making three separate compartments. I had one access panel for the first section but the other two have not had a proper cleaning in 30+ years. I took off the existing access plate and installed an access port in its place along with an access port for the other two baffle compartments. Interior was not bad at all much to my surprise. Now on to replacing all of the water lines, the vent line and adding a water filter at the tank and one at the faucet. I bought a new sheet of plywood so I could make the settee access panels where I want them. Am also allowing for the forward panel to be big enough so I can access the hose fittings without removing the cover again. I bought a "multi-metal" hole saw to drill the holes...NOT. The hole saw was effective at scratching the SS surface but not much else. Luckily I had brought along my Dremmel oscillating saw with a metal blade which made short work of making the holes. Be Prepared as they say! 2 weeks from now I will be installing my solar frame and mounting the panels. 2 panels, ridgid, 200 watts each.I made the frame last year, so the hard part is ..done...? "The road goes on forever and the party never ends " as Willie says. Second photo is of an Ericson 27 I saw at the boatyard (Haven Harbour South). Dont know anything about the owner and don't remember him/ her being on any of the meetings.

Attachments

• IMG_1538.JPG
    IMG_1538.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1519.JPG
    IMG_1519.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 9

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Don, Sounds like you had a busy weekend. As for Knot-A-Clew, I've seen her on the water but not meet the owner yet. Obviously he/she does not understand the sterling Chesapeake Bay Ericson Club company they are missing.