• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What sailmaker has this logo?

peaman

Sustaining Member
IMG_2476.JPG

I've seen it before, but I can't remember the name. I have a light-weight main and genoa in decent shape.

Bonus question: the Genoa has a 19' foot for an E32-3. Is that 135%? or other?

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Not sure on either one.

Sobstad's logo, at least the one I remember, looked like this:

images.jpg

The one you've posted looks really familiar, but I can't place it. How old is the sail?

And, "in general" you can't tell the LP of a sail from the foot. The foot is usually longer than the LP.

The LP (the Luff Perpendicular). is the line that is perpendicular to the luff and goes through the clew.

To measure LP, hold a tape measure at the clew and measure to the closest point on the luff usually somewhere around a third of the way up the luff). That measurement is your LP. Divide that by your J measurement to get the "size" (125%, 150%, whatever).

LP.JPG

On my boat, the LP on my everyday headsail is about 16.4' the J is 13.8' so my headsail is just under 120%

Last edited:

peaman

Sustaining Member
I believe that’s Sobstad
That was my first thought, but could not confirm it. I guess the logo has changed since the sail was made. It may be the boat's original set from 1987: the foot of the main has plastic slides just like the luff, rather than a bolt rope like my other mains.

peaman

Sustaining Member
That measurement is your LP. Divide that by your J measurement to get the "size"
Thanks for this. The sail might be from 1987. I can see the evolution from the logo I posted, to the one you posted, to the one on the Sobstad web site, so I guess that's the answer.