wifi/internet N of Gulf Islands

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could comment on the availability of wifi/internet access N of the Gulf Islands through Desolation, Broughtons, and possibly the west side of Vancouver Island.

We are planning on leaving Portland mid-to-late May and bounce around up there for 6 weeks or so. We both need occasional internet access to do "the bare minimum" to keep our clients happy, which allows us to take the trip in the first place.

I plan on making a wifi antenna I can hoist up the mast for extended range if needed.

- Cory

Spirit Moon

Member II
I circumnavigated Vancouver Island last June. I had a Blackberry PDA/Cell phone (GPRS) and another fellow had a lap top. We were able to get wifi at or in proximity to most marinas throughout the Gulf Islands. It gets very spotty the further north you go but we were never more than two days without picking up a signal. We did go around pretty quickly however (10days). Noth of Nanaimo we had wifi passing some of the small coastal towns (Alert Bay area, Port Hardy, Blind Channel Resort). I know there are many more marinas in the area that carry wifi. On the west side I think we got wifi in Winter Harbour and Tahsis and of course in the larger towns further south (Uclulet). I was surprised at how often I had a cellular signal access. My buddy was downloading noaa charts when he got wifi access.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Frank E38
Victoria BC

Last edited:

wurzner

Member III
Cory,

Rummer has it that you get MUCH better reception if you attend the rendez vous. Must be favourtism by the sailing gods.

Oh ya, is the 15-17 of June in Port Townsend.

Hope to see you.
Shaun

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Thanks!

Frank,
Thanks for the info. 10 days around doesn't sound like the scenic route, but its nice know it can done.

Shaun,
We made the E Rendevous when we were up there 2 years ago on our previous boat, but won't make it this time due to scheduling, unless its moved to Port Hardy. :egrin:

- Cory