Winterize rudder

1987 26’ Ericson. In the past, I have removed the rudder, drained it , and stored it indoors for our(Vermont) winter. Yard mates advise that after haul out, I just drill small hole, drain over winter, patch in spring . Have considered this, but want to be sure of correct placement of hole(or holes) to max this approach. I don’t have a diagram of interior structure of this rudder. If you e have success with the hole method on this model. Please advise. Thx.

JSM

Member III
Sorry don't know about your rudder but I used to do this on a C&C 30 every fall. Find the lowest point in the rudder and drill there. You should see immediate results.

Prairie Schooner

Jeff & Donna, E35-3 purchased 7/21
Hi Pete,
Is there a way you can dry it out, seal it up, and not have that chore every year? Is there harm being done by the annual summer-long saturation? I presume you're in fresh water. We've maintained our PO's practice of painting the rudder white to prevent heat expansion over the winter storage on the hard. I think it is in pretty good shape. It's not possible for us to take it off over the winter. If you can store yours inside without much trouble, that sounds like a good idea even with the ritual draining, which reminds me of the old medical practice of blood-letting to regulate the humours. Quaint, and if it works, I guess there's no harm in carrying on.
Jeff

Hi Pete,
Is there a way you can dry it out, seal it up, and not have that chore every year? Is there harm being done by the annual summer-long saturation? I presume you're in fresh water. We've maintained our PO's practice of painting the rudder white to prevent heat expansion over the winter storage on the hard. I think it is in pretty good shape. It's not possible for us to take it off over the winter. If you can store yours inside without much trouble, that sounds like a good idea even with the ritual draining, which reminds me of the old medical practice of blood-letting to regulate the humours. Quaint, and if it works, I guess there's no harm in carrying on.
Jeff
Thanks. Removal is not too bad. It’s a one person chore, but it is a big extra step. The concern up here in Vermont is that accumulated water (maybe a quart or so, via where post meets cockpit sole) can freeze, expand and badly damage the rudder.

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
I would be interested in why your rudder is gaining water in the first place. Is there a crack somewhere? Often the internal parts of the rudders of production boats were mild steel buried in resin and, even if the framework is SS, the salt water can be corrosive to welds and slightly dissimilar metals. I would want the rudder not to leak in the first place. I have tested my rudder few times in Maine before winter storage by drilling a hole near the bottom of the least dense part and found nothing. I then skipped this step and have had no problem in 15 years of Maine winters. I look for weeping when it is first pulled in the Fall. If I saw some indication I would try to find the leak.

I would be interested in why your rudder is gaining water in the first place. Is there a crack somewhere? Often the internal parts of the rudders of production boats were mild steel buried in resin and, even if the framework is SS, the salt water can be corrosive to welds and slightly dissimilar metals. I would want the rudder not to leak in the first place. I have tested my rudder few times in Maine before winter storage by drilling a hole near the bottom of the least dense part and found nothing. I then skipped this step and have had no problem in 15 years of Maine winters. I look for weeping when it is first pulled in the Fall. If I saw some indication I would try to find the leak.
Thanks. I believe some water gets in via cockpit to rudder post junction, the post being an open steel tube. I also annually address a small crack (2”)at the very top edge of the rudder. Despite care in addressing this (sanding, thickened epoxy, glass, paint) , it often reopens during time in water. The combo results in about a quarry of water weeping in. I’ll try drilling a small hole this season. Thanks to all for helpful responses.