• Untitled Document

Join us on September 27th, 7pm EDT

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the people you've met online!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

September Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Yacht Specialties Pedestal Throttle Drag

Schwarz633

My recently acquired Tartan 33R has a Yacht Specialties pedestal and Universal 5424 diesel. With the help of the information on this website, I just replaced the shift and throttle cables. The operation is much improved, especially the "pull back" shutdown of the engine. However, now the throttle creeps towards idle while motoring at speed. I didn't notice anything in either the pedestal or engine that would permit me to add some drag to the throttle. Any suggestions?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
My recently acquired Tartan 33R has a Yacht Specialties pedestal and Universal 5424 diesel. With the help of the information on this website, I just replaced the shift and throttle cables. The operation is much improved, especially the "pull back" shutdown of the engine. However, now the throttle creeps towards idle while motoring at speed. I didn't notice anything in either the pedestal or engine that would permit me to add some drag to the throttle. Any suggestions?
One can get a device that attaches to the cable, squeezes it a bit to hold it steady. I have simply added a short line around the pedestal that I loop over the throttle to hold it in place.
Frank

peaman

Sustaining Member
A "split bolt" commonly used to clamp an electrical ground wire to a grounding rod, in a suitable size works pretty well for squeezing the cable jacket just enough to provide some needed friction. A well stocked hardware store or electrical supply house should have them.

Schwarz633

A "split bolt" commonly used to clamp an electrical ground wire to a grounding rod, in a suitable size works pretty well for squeezing the cable jacket just enough to provide some needed friction. A well stocked hardware store or electrical supply house should have them.
That's a great suggestion. I was struggling with paying $30-$40 for the Dometic 44386 part.