‘86 35 mk III for sail and sale

fool

Member III
Covid and the price of diesel are forcing a change of plans and aspirations. Commuting from the PNW to SoCal used to require 15 days of quarantining from school and $6 dollar a gallon diesel prices probably aren’t going to come down anytime soon.

I’m putting September Sun, my ‘86 35 mk III located in Channel Islands Harbor, Oxnard CA up for sale. September Sun is a USCG documented vessel, state taxes won’t come due for a year after closing.

I’ll start low, and work up in price while long suspended projects get completed, say $25K as of today (no joke). We’re hauling for bottom paint on 04/11 and my pricing expectations will go up from there. Don’t expect that price when the bottom is painted and other tasks are completed. This isn’t a fire sale, make a commitment or expect inflation. Eventually a broker is going to want a cut, but we’re starting to list here because we know, dear reader, you care.

No, there are no leaks from the dorade vents. There are no leaks from portholes or hatches but water damage is apparent from past leaks. I’ve painted some interior bulkheads Hatteras White which keeps the interior from feeling like a bog and hides some water stains. Interior cushions have been recovered in faux leather. Running rigging is newer (5-7 years old) and all lines lead aft.

Lifelines are dyneema should probably be replaced due to sun exposure. Easy task if you can manage a simple Brummel Eye Splice or deep bury splice. Heck, if they were stainless they’d probably need replacing anyway. There is a dodger to protect from sun stroke, chill winds, rain, and salt spray; a big advantage when keeping crew and guests comfortable. The Eisenglass is clear with some rub marks where contacting the frame. Visibility is good, it’s the deck hatches that are crazed.

The deck is sound. The anchor locker will need improvement as the anchor windlass installation was rushed when the PO put the boat up for sale (and I bought it). You can still use the capstan to raise the anchor but the rode will not fall neatly into the locker below. Rocna Anchor and 300’ of 8 strand rope and chain rode for when visiting the historic and restored Channel Islands.

Yes, the cabin sole has a few delamination issues which do not inhibit sailing. Zipper pulls in the headliner have been replaced as necessary by myself and other owners. The sails are in good to fair condition, an extra jib and main are still onboard from when I purchased this vessel.

Electronics are up to date Raymarine: MFD, gimbaled Radar, Passive AIS on the VHF, and below deck autopilot have all been replaced. Did I mention below deck autopilot?

Other wiring is a mix of time and owners, open that bag of worms at your own risk. The only thing on the panel that doesn’t function is the anchor light at the top of the mast. Light fixtures are modern LED, nav lights have been changed to led bulbs.

The engine is the original M25 with Hurth transmission, somewhere between 1,200 and 1,400 hours if memory serves. The prop is a serviced folding Martec. I also have a ”like new” 3 blade to swap out.

The dinghy hangs from Garhauer Davits. Zarcor made the companionway doors, the original teak and a lucite hatchboard allow for companionway access options.

These are the typical repairs and most frequently asked questions, when purchasing an Ericson of this model and age. The new owner will certainly want to tackle their own list of projects. Buy a boat, purchase a project…

I’ll be listing things the new owner may or may not want separately and priced appropriately: a brand new set of Precision Sails (full batten cruising main and roller furl reefing 120% jib) along with a Tides Marine Track and Slide System; Sail-O-Mat self-steering from Christian’s Thelonious; Jordan Series Drogue of 104 cones with bridle; Habitent Cockpit Enclosure (for a smaller boat like a 32 or less.); MastMate Ladder for easing the anchor light repair; Icom M802 Single Side Band - 140 Antenna Tuner - Kiss ground plane and Gam Split Lead Backstay Antenna for the cruisers net, no Ham License required… so stay tuned to this channel for more information.

PM me if you’re interested in any or all of the above.

Shipping is FOB from wherever I happen to be and is the responsibility of the purchaser. I’ll be putting together photos, updates, and a more traditional listing as time permits.

Cheers,

Max

Bolo

Contributing Partner
For the benefit of an ignorant east coast sailor…why don’t you just move your boat to the PNW? E35-3 is a nice boat. Sorry that you have to sell her but hope you get a good price. Used boats are at a premium here on the east coast, at least on the Chesapeake, and are selling for higher prices.

fool

Member III
Hello Bolo,

Good question. I have a boat here in the PNW. I suppose I could truck it up (at about $10K) and sell this boat, but I thought I’d try this first. Or I could sail to Hawaii and then return via the PNW; would take a bit longer but would be much more comfortable than bashing up the coast into a headwind.

Yep, the 35-3 is a remarkable vessel and certainly worth a premium. It won’t stay long at this price…

Sure you don’t want to go up a couple of feet?

M.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Hello Bolo,

Good question. I have a boat here in the PNW. I suppose I could truck it up (at about $10K) and sell this boat, but I thought I’d try this first. Or I could sail to Hawaii and then return via the PNW; would take a bit longer but would be much more comfortable than bashing up the coast into a headwind.

Yep, the 35-3 is a remarkable vessel and certainly worth a premium. It won’t stay long at this price…

Sure you don’t want to go up a couple of feet?

M.
Nah! To happy living here on the east coast. :)