1 5/8" Packing Box Hose

C Masone

Perfect Storm
OK, I'm ordering parts for my shaft refurb job and I have 1 5/8 hose on the packing box! WTF! I can't find it! You would think I had some rare exotic boat. Anyone else run into this?

gregdettmer

Member I
I ran into a similar issue while refitting my e38. I had no way of knowing what size the original 30 year old hose was. So I measured the stuffing box and it was 1 5/8”.

So I posted the following here:
“e38 - 1981 - prop shaft stuffing box hose replacement
Looking for some advice on replacement of the prop shaft stuffing box hose. The original stuffing box and shaft log seem to be 1 5/8". The original stuffing box hose was 4 ply. The 1 5/8" does not seem to be a common size for stuffing box replacements so a new 4 ply hose does not seem to be available. I am wondering what others have done?
I do know PSS dripless packing is available for a 1 5/8" shaft log.”

At least on my e38, I did not have clearance for the PSS Packing due to length issues.

Did get a few responses. But still could not locate the Size Hose I needed.

Searched a few marine surplus stores, but certainly did not want to use just regular exhaust hose, since its typically 2 ply.

I ended up buying Buck Algonquin 1 1/2” 5 ply stuffing box hose from Hamilton marine just to try it and I was able to install with out any issue.

Regards
Greg Dettmer
E38 – s/v Spirit Soul

Last edited: