1967 Ericson 30 Chainplate Inspection

rickal

As new owner of an old Ericson I hope someone can tell me the best way to inspect the chainplates? I believe they are original to the boat. I also found that the seacocks for the cockpit drains are not true seacocks but gate valves. How difficult is it to replace these with real seacocks? Last question,how do I access the stuffing box?

Rick

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
Remove and plan to replace the chain plates. Consider titanium it is a one time deal and as cheep as stainless. If you have the screw faucet type gate valves, they must go! it is no real bad but You MUST be out of the water!!!!!!!!!!! The engine stuffing box is about a foot behind the output shaft of the transmission. To change the packing it will unscrew. to remove it from the log, you need to remove the shaft from the coupler and un-clamp from the log. Again Do it on the hard!.

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Remove and plan to replace the chain plates. Consider titanium it is a one time deal and as cheep as stainless. If you have the screw faucet type gate valves, they must go! it is no real bad but You MUST be out of the water!!!!!!!!!!! The engine stuffing box is about a foot behind the output shaft of the transmission. To change the packing it will unscrew. to remove it from the log, you need to remove the shaft from the coupler and un-clamp from the log. Again Do it on the hard!.

Edd, have you replaced the chainplates on your E35-II with titanium chainplates? I'm considering the same mod on my E35-II, and curious about any particular lessons learned, if any, as well as pics if you got 'em!

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
It is still on my to do list. I have a replacement mast that I will have put up next year when I haul out. I will replace all the running rigging and chain plates then. The goal is to do it just before the America's cup then head west, We will see if I can stay on schedule though. It is a lot of work to break free of land!

PDX

Member III
As new owner of an old Ericson I hope someone can tell me the best way to inspect the chainplates? I believe they are original to the boat. I also found that the seacocks for the cockpit drains are not true seacocks but gate valves. How difficult is it to replace these with real seacocks? Last question,how do I access the stuffing box?

Rick

As you probably know already, the chainplates are glassed into the hull. You cannot inspect them without taking them out. The only way to do that is with a grinder. And, while not rocket science, it is tedious work.

You access the stuffing box through the starboard lazarette. Unless it has been modified, the lazarette pan stops at the cockpit sole, so you can get under the sole from there. I suggest you unscrew the latch from the lazarette hatch before going down there or it can close itself and lock you in. Guess how I know about that?

Obviously, this is not ideal access to the aft engine area. Does your boat have the original engine with the gas fill in the center of the cockpit sole? If not, you may wish to consider installing one of the aluminum cockpit sole hatches. They are available in various sizes. http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/bro...rcial-cast-alum-15x24-oval-104612-/4,131.html

Tom Dilworth

1967 Ericson 30

I removed the chainplates in my 1967 Ericson 30, because I'm doing a complete rebuild and don't want to leave any stone unturned. It turns out that they were in excellent condition, although I replaced them with new ones anyway. It's a dirty and itchy job because they are glassed to the hull.

Tom Dilworth
1967 Ericson 30