1972 E35-2. Need advice on selling

Leander

Member II
I have had an Ericson 35-2 at a marina in San Diego Bay for 12 years, and now want to sell this summer. Good mechanical condition, poor cosmetic condition-needs everything painted. Only real work needed is to strengthen the shroud chainplates sometime. Reliable UniversaL M3-20B engine, new head system, old sails but they work fine. Doubt value supports using a broker unless I put tIme into cosmetics. I anticipate buyer will be like I was: willing to tackle DIY projects, eager for boat that has no obstacles to sailing on day of purchase, improve it at leisure from there. Have at least a couple thousand dollars worth of ancillary gear-new winches, Sailrite sewing machine, etc.

I paid $16k for it through a broker in 2011 when its was cosmetically pretty but mechanically poor-(had been used as a weekend-from-Arizona home, not sailed. Engine was unreliable, marine toilet shaky, had wrong prop so shifted transmission into reverse to attain forward motion!

I am looking for advice on two questions:

1) Any thoughts on an asking price?
2) Where is a good place to list it?

Thanks for any ideas. I have always loved this forum! Heading to boat now to take some photos

Last edited: