1974 E27 Engine Mounts

DaveJenn

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to sailing, in fact, I've never sailed - yet! I'm working on rebuilding my Ericson and need some help figuring out how the Atomic4 engine mounts in the engine compartment. I'm not clear on if there are 3 or 4 engine mounts and how/where they get installed. There was some hatchet work done to retrofit a different engine, but I'm putting an original back in (at least I think it was an original)! What would be really helpful would be photos of a similar set-up showing the motor mounts and surrounding "stuff" in the engine compartment. Our Little Yacht!

Thanks everybody!

Dave

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard and bravo. Great project, willing hands, and you've come to the right place for Ericson advice.

frick

Member III
I had an A4 in my e29 before I repowered. There were 4 engine mounts with 2 lag screws each though the fiberglass into the plywood hard points.

Sailingfun

Member III
Welcome aboard! Here another Ericson 27 owner, almost at the end of a long year of a refit. I do not have an atomic, mine come with a Volvo md7.
Good luck!!

DaveJenn

I had an A4 in my e29 before I repowered. There were 4 engine mounts with 2 lag screws each though the fiberglass into the plywood hard points.
Would you have time for a phone conversation about our boats? My number is 541-531-4392.

Dave

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Dave, if inclined you can start a private conversation with any member by clicking on their user name. Not necessary, but available.

DaveJenn

Not likely! I don't think there are any bodies of water nearby that are deep enough! Elephant Butte lake is several hours away and that's where I found the boat. They must have sailed it there before. We are planning on putting in the ocean in Texas. Maybe Corpus Christie area and then sailing of to Florida, Bahamas, etc. As long as she floats anyway!

ttt

I can’t help with the arrangement of atomic four mounts but I might be able to shed some light on the hack job in the engine compartment. I have a 1974 E27, hull number 275. It has the exact same cut outs in the engine compartment. It is fitted with a Palmer 60 four cylinder gasoline engine, which I understand to be original to the boat. What I have read is that Ericson got a deal on a batch of the engines when Palmer left the Marine market. The hack job is likely from the factory shoehorning in the P60. The picture on your site before cleaning up the engine compartment has many features identical to mine. The large opening in the stern panel made space for the transmission and fwd/rev shift linkage which extends further aft. The starboard panel is cut out because the carburetor and throttle cable brackets on the P60 didn’t fit. The notches in the engine bed accommodate the external flywheel on the P60. The bolt holes on the vertical surface forward of the notches and on the forward bottom corners of the sidewalls held a heavy steel bracket that supported the forward engine mounts.

the A4 is a much better fit!

one thing I would recommend considering when you get to wiring the A4 is relocating the battery switch to the vertical panel at the forward end of the quarter berth. I’ve seen pictures from later versions of the E27 that place it in that location The placement on the port side by the sink is likely due to the P60 having the alternator and starting engine on the port side. Unfortunately, With the batteries under the quarter berth, it makes for really long battery cable runs that somehow have to go over, under or around the engine.

I’d also recommend ditching the ammeter in the instrument panel and either use MaineSail’s method of cabling the output of the alternator to the starter cable lug or a dedicated run back to and ACR if you are planning one of those. The run length to the ammeter in the panel is really long, difficult to size correctly. I also understand them to have been a source of electrical fires in some engine panels. If you want charge current numbers a shunt at the battery is the way to go.

you might want to check out the fuel pressure mod and the exhaust back pressure gauge mods for the A4. I hear the A4 is sensitive to both and they are handy for trouble shooting. Parts available on Moyer’s site.