1984 Ericson 38'

Denise McDonald

Member II
Greetings!
We just found a 1984 E38 with a Universal 35 hp engine for sale. (Assuming this is diesel since it has a diesel forced air heating system?)
From the pictures, it looks in great condition. Does anyone have any yays or nays about this vintage and/or model of Ericson? We currently own a 1975 E27 in great condition, refit with a (almost) new (400 hours) Volvo diesel engine. We love her but would like a little more room.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Denise

1911tex

Sustaining Member
Denise you should be able to get top dollar for your E27. The E38 is a big jump in size, but pictures aside, if you get a hands-on personal inspection and a survey that you are happy with...the E38 is very popular on this forum and can do whatever you want and more.

Send Christian Williams a note, he knows the E38 like the back of his hand and has many terrific YouTube videos that you can spend hours viewing as seen here:
Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here.
YouTube Videos here.

Last edited:

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
If you're looking at the one in Bellingham, it looks like a great boat. The pictures show a lot of subtleties that shows the owner took care of the boat. New Lewmar hatches rotated to clear the boom vang, new portlights, a new larger holding tank vent, the hull looks clean, newer electrical panel, and a full Iverson enclosure (ok, not so subtle there). I'm probably biased, but I think 84 was a good year for Ericson 35 and 38s. There's still a lot of stick built furniture vs. fiberglass liners which makes working on the boat easier and the layout is ideal (who needs an aft cabin anyway).

We went from a 1980 25+ to an 1984 35-3 1.5 year ago and it was manageable. I still don't feel comfortable docking the boat by myself, but sailing it singlehanded is easy. It was a great move for our family and I bet the move from a 27 to the 38 would feel comfortable to you quicker than you think.

Denise McDonald

Member II
Greetings!
We just found a 1984 E38 with a Universal 35 hp engine for sale. (Assuming this is diesel since it has a diesel forced air heating system?)
From the pictures, it looks in great condition. Does anyone have any yays or nays about this vintage and/or model of Ericson? We currently own a 1975 E27 in great condition, refit with a (almost) new (400 hours) Volvo diesel engine. We love her but would like a little more room.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Denise
Thank you. We looked at it last night and it is beautiful. The length doesn’t worry me; I learned how to sail on a 40 ft boat. We love our 27 but just need a little more room. They had a survey done when they bought it a year and a half ago (by a surveyor I know and trust) and have only had it out Two times due to Covid and the heavy smoke from local forest fires last summer. The hard part is selling our 27. We put in a newer (420 hours) Diesel engine, new shaft and coupler, new fixed 3 blade prop, new main sail, new bottom paint this year… we know we won’t get most of that money back when we sell but have no idea where to start pricing. I’m open to suggestions… pictures attached

Attachments

• 7486B60F-0892-4661-BE1C-88150CAD1C81.jpeg
    7486B60F-0892-4661-BE1C-88150CAD1C81.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 46FD3134-E77D-41F8-BB81-842108DA7AF3.jpeg
    46FD3134-E77D-41F8-BB81-842108DA7AF3.jpeg
    153.8 KB · Views: 59

Denise McDonald

Member II
If you're looking at the one in Bellingham, it looks like a great boat. The pictures show a lot of subtleties that shows the owner took care of the boat. New Lewmar hatches rotated to clear the boom vang, new portlights, a new larger holding tank vent, the hull looks clean, newer electrical panel, and a full Iverson enclosure (ok, not so subtle there). I'm probably biased, but I think 84 was a good year for Ericson 35 and 38s. There's still a lot of stick built furniture vs. fiberglass liners which makes working on the boat easier and the layout is ideal (who needs an aft cabin anyway).

We went from a 1980 25+ to an 1984 35-3 1.5 year ago and it was manageable. I still don't feel comfortable docking the boat by myself, but sailing it singlehanded is easy. It was a great move for our family and I bet the move from a 27 to the 38 would feel comfortable to you quicker than you think.
Yes that was it! Just as lovely as it was pictured

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Yes that was it! Just as lovely as it was pictured
Denise,

I think we passed your 27 a few weeks ago outside the Anacortes marina and now it's on CL. It looks even better in person than in pictures. Does this mean you purchased the 38?

Denise McDonald

Member II
Hello.... well, we purchased a 38, but a Beneteau. I'm sad to let go of our girl but we couldn't find anything that fit us right now in an Ericson. We SHOULD have bought that Ericson 38, but it's ok. The Beneteau is stunning and has been really well cared for. We'll be in the same slip so wave and say hi!