32-3 - Tool bin in forepeak

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Cloning an idea from Christian's recent voyage departure preparation video ... I just finished making a tool bin in the storage compartment on top of my forward water tank. I think it's a great location for hand tools ... IF you don't need need to keep the cushions from that area on board (e.g. if you're cruising solo or just 2-up).

The first pic shows the hinges I aded to the heavy lid (they are slip-hinges, so I can slide it sideways to remove it if needed).
The second pic shows the barrel bolts I installed on each side to hold the lid up when rummaging for the needed tool. The bolts poke through holes in the 1x4" wooden railings of the side shelves. I over-sized the holes so I could put a small brass tube in each hole to prevent wear of the wood where the bolts engage. You can see the inspection hole I drilled in the board that's above the water tanks: it's directly above a clear plastic inspection/clean-out port I recently installed in the top of the water tank.
The 3rd pic shows the canvas liner that I made for that space, with snaps holding it up (two are missing - I didn't order enough) - it'll stop small things from slipping down the cracks around the board that's on top of the water tank. The patterning for the liner was a bit of a fail - I need to trim out a little excess fabric in the corners :-|1 tool tray_closed-clip hinges.jpg2 tool tray_held up with barrel bolts.jpg3 tool tray_canvas liner.jpg

Last edited: