35-2 Cored hull?

adam

Member III

There's no way the Ericson 35-2 has a cored hull, right?

Then what am I looking at? It sure looks like balsa sandwiched in between fiberglass at the thruhull for my speed sensor.
26904800_10155171706773309_854297201692267458_n.jpg#puzzled

tenders

Innocent Bystander
It looks tapered, and might not necessarily be an entire wood core. I would dig it out an inch or so, if it extends that far, and fill it with thickened epoxy, to stave off the possibility of rot if the through-hull ever seeps water around the edge.

I wonder if it’s a wooden plug of some sort that was glassed in there to accommodate a smaller through hull than the original speed sensor required.

garryh

Member III
the wood sure looks like balsa, but these boats are not supposed to have cored hulls. I have removed some through hulls from mine in the head and no sign of core and was amazed at the thickness of the glass in that area..... similar (or thicker) to the 'uncored' area in the pic. I think you are looking at a previous repair/backing plate.

mfield

Member III
My guess would be a repair. Perhaps you could investigate a little less destructively by using a studfinder or possibly a thermal imaging camera (there are quite cheap attachments to a phone available now).

celtic sea

Member III
I have a 1975 E35-2 and did three thru-hulls this past spring and a transducer. It's a solid hull.
I did find that all the thru-hulls have raised fiberglass around as mentioned. I had to "custom" make the backing plates to accommodate that. Leaving for FL. and the Bahamas from NJ in eight months! Only need to install an anchor roller on the bow, and get a new anchor(rocna) and longer chain. If money is available I would like to install a windlass too. But that might have to wait.
Living full time onboard now almost a year!
See the boat on YouTube-sailing dijan.
John
E35-2
SV DIJAN