• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

35-2 Rudder Post Leak

WindHorse

Member I
Looks like my drawing didn’t make the e-trip??? Hopefully this isn’t redundant.
View attachment 38270
Thanks for the drawing! I'm still not sure I totally get it. Does the o-ring go around the rudder post (functioning like packing material)--or is it between the top and base plates, functioning like a gasket? I need to verify while I'm underway, but I'm pretty sure my leak is due to a lack of packing effectiveness...

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Even more confused now after taking a closer look at Farlander's pics. What is holding the rudder up?

On mine, the steering quadrant sits atop the stuffing box (with a delrin washer in between). It's the steering quadrant that prevents the rudder tube from sliding downward (see pic in post #24). The sleeve bearings at the top and bottom of the rudder tube allow rotation but provide no vertical support.

But the pics show that the quadrant doesn't touch the stuffing box. So how is the rudder held up?

Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
Curious about the need for an o-ring. That's basically the function of the flax in the stuffing box--to form a compressible ring seal around the rudder post.

Have you tried disassembling & repacking the stuffing box. The pictures make it look like the top and bottom halves of the stuffing box have been glassed together.

Unfortunately, there was no flax or actually even room for any traditional stuffing box materials to fit between the two plates.

There was but one small (maybe 1/16”) deep depression ridge in the lower plate to work with for any kind of packing material.

I believe Ericson didn’t truly expect the sterns of these (our) earlier designs to squat down quite as much as they did. But, the added weight of ourselves and crews back then (especially now) proves them wrong. Otherwise, most likely, that post would have either come up a tad bit higher OR a better sealing process installed.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Unfortunately, there was no flax or actually even room for any traditional stuffing box materials to fit between the two plates.
Ok, thanks. Now I see the difference. A flaxed stuffing box has a much higher "neck" above where the flanges meet--the neck providing space for 3 rings of flax. Learned something new. Again....

20210112_200206_HDR.jpg27430-486e37519bd755818501333f8a1ad0f2.jpg

kapnkd

kapnkd
Thanks for the drawing! I'm still not sure I totally get it. Does the o-ring go around the rudder post (functioning like packing material)--or is it between the top and base plates, functioning like a gasket? I need to verify while I'm underway, but I'm pretty sure my leak is due to a lack of packing effectiveness...

Sorry, that drawing was created quick, down and dirty as we say on the spot to give you a faster answer.

The “O” ring closely fits the diameter of the rudder post and slides down over it to then nest critically BETWEEN THE TWO BRONZE PLATES. It is then simply compressed by the tightening of the upper plate against the lower plate.

Between ample/generous amounts of waterproof grease below in the shaft post and the well greased rubber seal, water intrusion problems were resolved for us.

...Thinking back now, I actually had two rubber seals made up. One was the thicker 3/8”(??) an a 1/8”. We actually slid the both down on the rudder shaft at the time. (Smaller one first of memory serves me.) ...It HAS been a long while back!!!

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
That stuffing box definitely looks like it needs to come apart and have the flax replaced.

And, more grease into that zerk fitting. LOTS of grease. I injected enough that it started coming out of the bottom bushing. That fixed the leak from that area on my 35-II. Then I sailed for a while, and in a big following sea still saw an occasional drop back there. So I injected more grease. No more drops.

Incidentally, I used Aqua Shield grease, which has an interesting, tenacious quality that makes cleanup an adventure.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
I'm a user of Green Grease 101 synthetic waterproof. Have been for a long time. There are multiple marine articles on waterproof grease. It has been reviewed recently in several sailing magazines for winches as #1.

Last edited: