35-2: Where to Tap Rudder Log for Zerk Fitting (measurement)?

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
For anyone following, I’m happy to report that it worked! Prior to the fix, my bilge pump was cycling 30-40 times/hour while under sail or motor (yes, I have a counter on it). This weekend, after 6 hours underway, cycles = 0!!! I’ll never know if the stuffing alone would have done the job? But my guess is that the grease will make it last longer if nothing else... Very satisfied.
Had the same experience. Once I installed the zerk and filled with grease, no more water ingress.

Canopus

1989 35-3
In addition to repacking the rudder stuffing on my 35-2 (1970, #155), I'd like to follow the advice on other threads to install a zerk/grease fitting. Does anyone know how high I can go on the rudder log without drilling into the bushing/bearing/bronze fixture at the top of the log??? Since I'm doing this in the water, I'd rather not deal with water ingress (even though I can probably plug it with butyl or whatever...). Anyone have a diagram or blueprint???
I recently did this job on my 35-3 (unfortunately no pics) . I'm not sure how similar the dimensions are on the 35-2.
There was an old grease fitting that time had reduced to a small rusty bump. This was about 6-7 inches below the metal bushing.
I put the new one about 2 inches to starboard of the rust bump. I drilled and tapped the appropriate sized hole. I figured the hole was deep enough when I hit metal.
The new fitting I put in place with thickened epoxy. It worked great. I pumped in grease until it squooshed out the top of the rudder post tube. My previously creaky steering is now smooth and silent.